Author Topic: The suit - RIP...?  (Read 574 times)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: The suit - RIP...?
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2021, 11:03:27 PM »
There was a scene in the Downton Abbey film when Lady Mary goes to visit Carson the retired butler who is gardening in front of his cottage in his shirt, tie and waistcoat!

OK it was a film and set in the 1930s but not out of line I donít think. In the late seventies I worked for a milk man who always wore a tie to run around the streets pre dawn. The fella who did our painting and wallpapering when I was a kid always had on a tie under his overalls. My mateís dad was a butcher and always had a tie on under his white coat and stripey apron. All my male schoolteachers wore ties except for the PE dept.

We have to accept that those days are gone but it neednít affect how we choose to get dressed.

I went t see an Auto Design exhibit at the Detroit Institute of Arts, where part of the exhibit was a video installation showing clay modelers "sculpting" clay on full size models. The all male ( at the time) modelers all wore ties under their "smocks". This was a film from the 60's/70's. Scrapping hot clay wasn't an un-messy job either...but there they were in dress trousers and shoes...
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."