Author Topic: The suit - RIP...?  (Read 576 times)

Robin_Wick

• Just joined
    • View Profile

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: The suit - RIP...?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 10:01:52 AM »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/mens-style/have-fond-memories-buying-first-suit-16-now-act-rebellion/

Not if I can help it...!

>:(

Not a subscriber myself, so I can't read the article, but it's not difficult to imagine the writer's thesis. I don't think the suit is going to disappear in the near future, if anything the pandemic's control could mean a resurgence of more carefully arranged outfits (and retailers need to sell their high-end stuff!). I'm not too optimistic either, donning a suit is an effort most people aren't willing to do, and I don't think that's going to change.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 12:52:10 PM »
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2021, 07:02:36 PM »
It may be on life support among the general population But when did people of our persuasion follow what they do or get bothered by what they say?
The whole theme may be more or less true but itís been done to death by so many publications and sites, even moreso over the last year or two, that Iím tired of reading about it. If people donít want to wear suits then donít. Iím sure there will be enough left to supply my needs till itís time to shuffle off and after that itís a problem for the next generation.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 07:38:50 AM »
It may be on life support among the general population But when did people of our persuasion follow what they do or get bothered by what they say?
The whole theme may be more or less true but itís been done to death by so many publications and sites, even moreso over the last year or two, that Iím tired of reading about it. If people donít want to wear suits then donít. Iím sure there will be enough left to supply my needs till itís time to shuffle off and after that itís a problem for the next generation.

Well put, Rod, more or less sums up my feelings

Lord Mulberry

• Absolute Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 07:08:40 PM »
The other side of the argument is that the general population wouldn't know how to wear a suit anyway. Size, colour matches, what accessories compliment a suit and that's before acceptable styling is considered. I've even seen people stroll down the street with the shipping tack still left in the vents.
Do it well

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 07:38:10 PM »
The other side of the argument is that the general population wouldn't know how to wear a suit anyway. Size, colour matches, what accessories compliment a suit and that's before acceptable styling is considered. I've even seen people stroll down the street with the shipping tack still left in the vents.
Lol. l have even saw that at a wedding in the not too distant past . .

We have been witnessing the decline of the suit for decades but it is not that long ago that many people went to their work wearing a suit and the majority of men , even many manual workers , wore a shirt and tie. .
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 07:40:56 PM by Simon Bond »
LET'S GO BRANDON!!

Lord Mulberry

• Absolute Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2021, 04:56:56 AM »

We have been witnessing the decline of the suit for decades but it is not that long ago that many people went to their work wearing a suit and the majority of men , even many manual workers , wore a shirt and tie. .

I remember dad nearly always wearing a suit, even around the house. If it was really warm outside, he would sometimes take the jacket off
Do it well

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2021, 03:15:52 PM »
There was a scene in the Downton Abbey film when Lady Mary goes to visit Carson the retired butler who is gardening in front of his cottage in his shirt, tie and waistcoat!

OK it was a film and set in the 1930s but not out of line I donít think. In the late seventies I worked for a milk man who always wore a tie to run around the streets pre dawn. The fella who did our painting and wallpapering when I was a kid always had on a tie under his overalls. My mateís dad was a butcher and always had a tie on under his white coat and stripey apron. All my male schoolteachers wore ties except for the PE dept.

We have to accept that those days are gone but it neednít affect how we choose to get dressed.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2021, 06:13:19 PM »

I remember dad nearly always wearing a suit, even around the house. If it was really warm outside, he would sometimes take the jacket off

Yeah , yeah my father was similar and for  the more casual look he would wear 'sports jacket and flannels'. I saw a picture quite recently taken inside my local football stadium c1967 and the vast majority of the fans were wearing a shirt and tie and also a hat , hardly any Club colours scarves and obviously no fans wearing fitba' tops.  A decline in standards and people generally having less interest in how they look. .
« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 09:53:37 PM by Simon Bond »
LET'S GO BRANDON!!