Author Topic: Whats the last item you bought?  (Read 1484254 times)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the last item you bought?
« Reply #5120 on: October 13, 2020, 06:57:01 PM »
Much more humble, my last purchase is oddly  ;D a made in Italy knit.

After an overdose of vertical stripes, I've decided to give a chance to other options. This one is gorgeous to the touch, with a stunning relief effect to the stripes that sadly doesn't quite show in the detail pic.

I am afraid that in the first pic it looks very similar to a Green*ck M*rton top so l am out .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: October 13, 2020, 07:14:13 PM »
I dunno who does the cooking in your gaff Syd but they’ve either gotta stop burning the toast or else your lens needs cleaning!

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: October 13, 2020, 09:34:49 PM »

After an overdose of vertical stripes, I've decided to give a chance to other options. This one is gorgeous to the touch, with a stunning relief effect to the stripes that sadly doesn't quite show in the detail pic.

Like the color combo of the stripes on that, GS.
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: October 14, 2020, 10:55:49 AM »
I dunno who does the cooking in your gaff Syd but they’ve either gotta stop burning the toast or else your lens needs cleaning!

Rod, glad to hear from you! I swear it's the light outside  ;D, combined with a cheap phone, mind you

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: October 14, 2020, 11:00:31 AM »

I am afraid that in the first pic it looks very similar to a Green*ck M*rton top so l am out .

Had to google that, Simon. Hey, what's the thing with football there? you lot should relax  ;). I remember some similar reactions when I posted a pic in FB with an orange top: "I'd never wear a garment with orange in it because it's like the Whatever FC shirt". Yep and if so, what's the matter? Are the masses going to crucify you in a street corner of your neighbourhood?

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: October 14, 2020, 11:02:11 AM »

Like the color combo of the stripes on that, GS.

Cheers, Mike, that's what attracted me of it in the first place. There were another two colorways, nice in their own right, but not SO nice  8)

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: October 14, 2020, 12:19:33 PM »

Had to google that, Simon. Hey, what's the thing with football there? you lot should relax  ;). I remember some similar reactions when I posted a pic in FB with an orange top: "I'd never wear a garment with orange in it because it's like the Whatever FC shirt". Yep and if so, what's the matter? Are the masses going to crucify you in a street corner of your neighbourhood?

Oh Rafa, you have much to learn about football in these fair isles.  Bill Shankly once famously said:

“Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.”

I support Sheffield Wednesday, who play in blue and white stripes; our nearest and dearest rivals (I'll not even say their name, never mind write it  :o) play in red and white stripes, so there is no way on this earth that I would ever buy clothes that are predominantly red and white, or even just predominantly red!!.  If I did, I know some very close friends who would think that crucifixion would be too good a punishment for me  ;D.  I remember when I bought my latest scooter about two years ago; it's all white with an oxblood colour seat.  The first thing one of my Wednesday-supporting mates said when he saw a picture of it was " that seat's f*cking red!!); no "Oh that's lovely" or anything else like that  ;D

I'm afraid its deeply engrained into our (football) culture and I guess you've got to have lived it to understand it.  Other than that, I agree with everything you've said  ;D 

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: October 14, 2020, 01:51:56 PM »

Oh Rafa, you have much to learn about football in these fair isles.  Bill Shankly once famously said:

“Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.”

I support Sheffield Wednesday, who play in blue and white stripes; our nearest and dearest rivals (I'll not even say their name, never mind write it  :o) play in red and white stripes, so there is no way on this earth that I would ever buy clothes that are predominantly red and white, or even just predominantly red!!.  If I did, I know some very close friends who would think that crucifixion would be too good a punishment for me  ;D.  I remember when I bought my latest scooter about two years ago; it's all white with an oxblood colour seat.  The first thing one of my Wednesday-supporting mates said when he saw a picture of it was " that seat's f*cking red!!); no "Oh that's lovely" or anything else like that  ;D

I'm afraid its deeply engrained into our (football) culture and I guess you've got to have lived it to understand it.  Other than that, I agree with everything you've said  ;D

Yup , all a bit sad in a way but I totally get it and it is almost the closer the particular team is to home then the greater the rivalry and the bitterness that is so old that we have almost forgotten what it was about .
That particular top is so like that team top that l would have to steer well clear . Where l live l am surrounded by football mates including my next door neighbour,  who would probably just shake his head at me . There are some things l just would not wear and a top that looks remarkably like that team top is out.
Of course , here in er , northern Britain , certain colours have religious connotations too , like the orange that Sidney mentioned . Takes too long to explain.
Years ago l popped into my work on a day off , just to have a quick word with a colleague.  After a couple of minutes he suddenly noticed the Lambretta enamel badge on my trucker and then went off on one because it had the cross of St George behind the lion rampant.  Mental.
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: October 14, 2020, 05:04:43 PM »
Guys, I get what you mean, as football is almost a religion for many people here too, but you'll have to admit that colour-hating stuff is taking things a bit too far  ;D. I mean, here no one's going to spit on me for wearing a Barça-like purple/blue top (even if only because another Valencia's team, Levante FC, sports the same colours on their shirts  ;D). I guess we Mediterranean folks don't take sport rivalries so seriously.

BTW, Paul, by what you say about your own team, I bet my polo is kosher for you!  ;)

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: October 14, 2020, 06:24:48 PM »
Guys, I get what you mean, as football is almost a religion for many people here too, but you'll have to admit that colour-hating stuff is taking things a bit too far  ;D. I mean, here no one's going to spit on me for wearing a Barça-like purple/blue top (even if only because another Valencia's team, Levante FC, sports the same colours on their shirts  ;D). I guess we Mediterranean folks don't take sport rivalries so seriously.

BTW, Paul, by what you say about your own team, I bet my polo is kosher for you!  ;)

Rafa, there's absolutely nothing rational about it, and in normal everyday life I consider myself to be quite a laid back, sensible person  ::).   I'm 55 so should know better  ;D but there's something inside that makes all rational thought go straight out of the window when items of clothing in those colours are concerned. 

It goes back generations; my grandad, then my Dad, then me, now my son all follow Wednesday; in fact my daughter's initials are SWFC  :o (my wife wouldn't let me do the same with my son, which is quite ironic because my daughter couldn't care less about the game whereas my son is chip off the old block).  Go figure!!

And yes, you're absolutely right, the colours on the polo are spot on  ;)