Author Topic: Whats the last item you bought?  (Read 1440283 times)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the last item you bought?
« Reply #5140 on: October 15, 2020, 06:59:38 PM »
I wore my Modshoes cord numbers when l was dahn saff last month . They got some good compliments.  One day , l was about to leave a restaurant l go to down there and l was talking to the manageress and she said to me that l looked very 6ts ! I thanked her and said "well that is the general idea" .
I think they are fantastic footwear and very comfortable.
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #5141 on: October 15, 2020, 08:24:30 PM »
They are indeed beauties , Chilli. I wish you many years of comfort and wear in them.
I did notice that there is now a new style that has appeared there too , again l think they are beauties but l may be too old  to wear such a shoe now . .🤔

Is that 'The Neil' style you're referring to Simon?  I don't remember seeing them previously.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that, whilst I love many of the styles on the site, I do find quite a few of them a little bit too flamboyant for me to wear nowadays, though 20/30 years ago I'd have jumped on them with no hesitation, so I can understand where you're coming from.  However as the well known saying goes, 'you're only as old as the woman you feel'  ;D, and since my wife is 10 years younger than me, I'm sure I can get away with many of them  8)   
Yeah , The Neil that is the one that seems to have arrived . I've got my name on a pair of them , l think . .

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: October 15, 2020, 09:12:57 PM »

Mike,

I absolutely don't disagree with you on that; however as with everything else, it's down to personal choice.  I think you made a really good point earlier in the thread about individuals having the choice to make up their own minds regardless of how 'flamboyant' it may look to others; what matters is that they do it well and with conviction and the results can look stunning.  Personally I know I couldn't pull off some of the looks that some others can, for a myriad of reasons; likewise I know that some styles of shoes wouldn't suit me and my dress style, though that shouldn't stop others regardless of their age - as long as it looks good.  I know as I grow old disgracefully, I've become more conservative in my dress sense, because that's what i feel comfortable in. 

As an aside, when those shoes above arrived the other day, I immediately 'waterproofed' them. My son came down and commented on them saying how different they were and that I often went for types of shoes that many others don't wear - so maybe I'm not as conservative as I think  ;)
Yeah, I think you might be onto something there, C., because those cord shoes aren't that "conservative", IMO  ;)
BTW, nothing more with being "conservative" looking in what one wears. ( Funny because a woman friend of mine here tells me I "dress like an old man")
I have the "Modshoes" cord shoes, but I do like the leather soles on your pair more.

I have to admit I bought a pair of the cord shoes and the boots from mod shoes as soon as they came out because it had been ages since I'd seen a nice pair of cord footwear. However as soon as I saw the pair from Dr Watson I thought they were a cut above and could be worn with a smarter ensemble. And you're right about the leather soles; plus they'll be great for dancing in  8) 
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 09:19:53 PM by Chilli »

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: October 15, 2020, 09:28:59 PM »
They are indeed beauties , Chilli. I wish you many years of comfort and wear in them.
I did notice that there is now a new style that has appeared there too , again l think they are beauties but l may be too old  to wear such a shoe now . .🤔

Is that 'The Neil' style you're referring to Simon?  I don't remember seeing them previously.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that, whilst I love many of the styles on the site, I do find quite a few of them a little bit too flamboyant for me to wear nowadays, though 20/30 years ago I'd have jumped on them with no hesitation, so I can understand where you're coming from.  However as the well known saying goes, 'you're only as old as the woman you feel'  ;D, and since my wife is 10 years younger than me, I'm sure I can get away with many of them  8)   
Yeah , The Neil that is the one that seems to have arrived . I've got my name on a pair of them , l think . .

Go for it pal; they look a really nice pair of shoes.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: October 16, 2020, 10:31:04 AM »

Go for it pal; they look a really nice pair of shoes.
I think l will buy them , my only reservation is that the other pair of Dr Watson shoes l bought earlier in the year , have yet to be worn outside my house . .🤔

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #5145 on: October 16, 2020, 10:36:39 AM »

Mike,

I absolutely don't disagree with you on that; however as with everything else, it's down to personal choice.  I think you made a really good point earlier in the thread about individuals having the choice to make up their own minds regardless of how 'flamboyant' it may look to others; what matters is that they do it well and with conviction and the results can look stunning.  Personally I know I couldn't pull off some of the looks that some others can, for a myriad of reasons; likewise I know that some styles of shoes wouldn't suit me and my dress style, though that shouldn't stop others regardless of their age - as long as it looks good.  I know as I grow old disgracefully, I've become more conservative in my dress sense, because that's what i feel comfortable in. 

As an aside, when those shoes above arrived the other day, I immediately 'waterproofed' them. My son came down and commented on them saying how different they were and that I often went for types of shoes that many others don't wear - so maybe I'm not as conservative as I think  ;)
Yeah, I think you might be onto something there, C., because those cord shoes aren't that "conservative", IMO  ;)
BTW, nothing more with being "conservative" looking in what one wears. ( Funny because a woman friend of mine here tells me I "dress like an old man")
I have the "Modshoes" cord shoes, but I do like the leather soles on your pair more.

I have to admit I bought a pair of the cord shoes and the boots from mod shoes as soon as they came out because it had been ages since I'd seen a nice pair of cord footwear. However as soon as I saw the pair from Dr Watson I thought they were a cut above and could be worn with a smarter ensemble. And you're right about the leather soles; plus they'll be great for dancing in  8)

Yes , l would agree with you and Michigan Mike that the leather soul makes for a better shoe and definitely better for dancing in but can be lethal on the damp terrazzo surface of say , a railway station in particular if you have had a beer , not that that could happen now , out having a beer l mean. .

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5146 on: October 16, 2020, 11:07:51 AM »

Mike,

Yes , l would agree with you and Michigan Mike that the leather soul makes for a better shoe and definitely better for dancing in but can be lethal on the damp terrazzo surface of say , a railway station in particular if you have had a beer , not that that could happen now , out having a beer l mean. .

In fact,  I'm known as "the Flying Skater" when it rains down here  ;D, which fortunately happens just once in a while. Our pavement is killer for leather soles.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5147 on: October 16, 2020, 11:09:14 AM »
One day , l was about to leave a restaurant l go to down there and l was talking to the manageress and she said to me that l looked very 6ts ! I thanked her and said "well that is the general idea" .

That's the idea indeed. Mission accomplished, mr. Bond

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5148 on: October 16, 2020, 11:31:22 AM »
I wore my Modshoes cord numbers when l was dahn saff last month . They got some good compliments.  One day , l was about to leave a restaurant l go to down there and l was talking to the manageress and she said to me that l looked very 6ts ! I thanked her and said "well that is the general idea" .

That may be for some, but I do question whether it's just a love of that decade rather than anything to do with mod though.  That does seem to be the way mods are these days though, that's why I mentioned before that it's more retro than mod.
Not stuck in the 60's

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #5149 on: October 16, 2020, 12:18:57 PM »

That may be for some, but I do question whether it's just a love of that decade rather than anything to do with mod though.  That does seem to be the way mods are these days though, that's why I mentioned before that it's more retro than mod.

It is indeed a love of that decade . What makes something mod , in the first place ? The fact that mods wore it in the 6ts ? This type of discussion has been popping up since a mate of mine turned up in a pair of cords and someone exclaimed 'not mod!' , about 40yrs ago.
Of course,  back in the day , young mods would be festooned with badges basically proclaiming them to be mods and was anyone to say otherwise .
I have also seen guys at mod events whom , had l met them in the street , l would have been none the wiser . Indeed there is a guy who posts pics on here whom , despite looking very smart , if l saw him in the street l would not for one minute think ,' he is a mod'

However,  it is always good to be out and about and see a guy who has the look and as we pass in the street get a nod