Author Topic: Whats the last item you bought?  (Read 1440242 times)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the last item you bought?
« Reply #5150 on: October 16, 2020, 12:25:04 PM »
One day , l was about to leave a restaurant l go to down there and l was talking to the manageress and she said to me that l looked very 6ts ! I thanked her and said "well that is the general idea" .

That's the idea indeed. Mission accomplished, mr. Bond

Thank you Sydney . I don't even know if that wee manageress, Sharon,  even knew how validative she was being
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5151 on: October 16, 2020, 01:58:24 PM »
I wore my Modshoes cord numbers when l was dahn saff last month . They got some good compliments.  One day , l was about to leave a restaurant l go to down there and l was talking to the manageress and she said to me that l looked very 6ts ! I thanked her and said "well that is the general idea" .

That may be for some, but I do question whether it's just a love of that decade rather than anything to do with mod though.  That does seem to be the way mods are these days though, that's why I mentioned before that it's more retro than mod.

Yeah you have mentioned that before Daz. I guess it all depends on what your definition of 'Mod' is; and different people will have different interpretations.  I'd be interested to read what your interpretation is; do we have any/many similarities or are your views diametrically different to mine (and if they are, there's nothing wrong with that).   I don't mean an in depth interrogation into the subject but I'd certainly be interested in reading your take and I think it could be an interesting issue to discuss.   

Ematt

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5152 on: October 16, 2020, 02:28:38 PM »
I would be interested to know how many members of this forum still actually called themselves a mod? Being a chap in my 50`s i know i don`t anymore.

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #5153 on: October 16, 2020, 04:16:29 PM »
I would be interested to know how many members of this forum still actually called themselves a mod? Being a chap in my 50`s i know i don`t anymore.

This topic comes around from time to time.
I think it amusing that so many people maintain some degree of dedication to the cause but scamper to distance themselves from being called ĎModí.
A lot of blokes our age try to make a discreet exit through the ĎIvyí door.
I think thereís an understandable desire not to be associated with clueless teenage knackers in polyester two tone suits, Jam shoes and badged up parkas. Many of us might have passed through that stage a long time ago but aside from ill-informed members of the public who hang on to that as the image of a typical Mod, does ANYONE dress like that these days, young or old?
Like said above there are a million subjective definitions of Mod and while my taste in music, architecture, furnishings, art, etc etc probably has little to do with Mod these days and unlike the lads of yesteryear Iím not on a constant mission to upgrade, update and charge into the future, my clothes choices are clearly heavily influenced by the classic early sixties look so I have no problems embracing the moniker in that regard.

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5154 on: October 16, 2020, 05:10:47 PM »
I wore my Modshoes cord numbers when l was dahn saff last month . They got some good compliments.  One day , l was about to leave a restaurant l go to down there and l was talking to the manageress and she said to me that l looked very 6ts ! I thanked her and said "well that is the general idea" .

That may be for some, but I do question whether it's just a love of that decade rather than anything to do with mod though.  That does seem to be the way mods are these days though, that's why I mentioned before that it's more retro than mod.

Yeah you have mentioned that before Daz. I guess it all depends on what your definition of 'Mod' is; and different people will have different interpretations.  I'd be interested to read what your interpretation is; do we have any/many similarities or are your views diametrically different to mine (and if they are, there's nothing wrong with that).   I don't mean an in depth interrogation into the subject but I'd certainly be interested in reading your take and I think it could be an interesting issue to discuss.   

I just always thought of mod as moving forward, no doubt with a nod to the past but it seems really stuck in the past and to me that's the antithesis of mod.  I totally get people might have different definitions but you can't ignore the original mod movement and what it was about. 

Ematt mentioned that whether people call themselves mod anymore, that's an interesting point, this is a mod forum after all but maybe mod doesn't exist anymore as most seem to be just interesting in rehashing the past.  As I mentioned before maybe there should be a new movement 'The retro's' I mentioned this before rather facetiously but maybe it's more true than I thought.

As to the original point about being pleased someone said you look 'very sixties' and taking that as a compliment this is where I would differ, to me that's like going to a fancy dress party...I wouldn't want someone to think I was trying to recreate a look from a previous decade, if they said I think you look sharp, or stylish or just complimented the clothes I would be ok with that.

I do genuinely believe that there are mods still but they are in the minority in a sea full of 60's recreationists, the irony seems lost on them, or maybe they simply don't care and simply want to dress like they did or their dads did in the 60's...no different to someone who wants to wear tie die shirts and flowers in their hair.
Not stuck in the 60's

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5155 on: October 16, 2020, 06:18:58 PM »
Tsk, tsk, condescension is a funny thing; to be entitled to it (if someone really is) you need to be smarter than your victim, but usually it's just the opposite.

Interesting points, Rod. Nowadays, as Matt pointed out, I find the "mod" tag restricting, just like every tag really, but the 60s mod scene has been hugely influential in shaping my aesthetic preferences, and the revival mod scene triggers my nostalgia so I have a soft spot for both. I mean, if someone calls me a mod (or a trad or a retro), well, it's OK by me. Not a dirty work to me, so to speak.

Regarding mod as a forward-looking movement: like many well-sounding, empty statements ("mods were amphetamine and Jean Paul Sartre" comes to mind), there lies a huge paradox behind it: if you sever the ties of the mod scene with the 60s, the term becomes meaningless, "mod" can be everything that's up to date.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #5156 on: October 16, 2020, 06:55:09 PM »
Tsk, tsk, condescension is a funny thing; to be entitled to it (if someone really is) you need to be smarter than your victim, but usually it's just the opposite.

Interesting points, Rod. Nowadays, as Matt pointed out, I find the "mod" tag restricting, just like every tag really, but the 60s mod scene has been hugely influential in shaping my aesthetic preferences, and the revival mod scene triggers my nostalgia so I have a soft spot for both. I mean, if someone calls me a mod (or a trad or a retro), well, it's OK by me. Not a dirty work to me, so to speak.

Regarding mod as a forward-looking movement: like many well-sounding, empty statements ("mods were amphetamine and Jean Paul Sartre" comes to mind), there lies a huge paradox behind it: if you sever the ties of the mod scene with the 60s, the term becomes meaningless, "mod" can be everything that's up to date.

Indeed , good post Sydney . The term mod is flawed in many ways and means different things to different people . We know also that the term was probably coined by some bugger in the media to name a youth cult that probably didn't call itself anything much but the media do love their pidgeon holes and labels .
Fortunatley , nowadays it is easier than ever to get a hold of the kind of gear we like ( all made in the 21st c, of course) and there has been little sign of the mod police in these parts for many years so , l for one will continue to wear what l fancy and if someone thinks l look smart , mod , very 6ts , retro , stylish or neat l will not complain all compliments accepted. .
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 08:53:13 PM by Simon Bond »
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #5157 on: October 16, 2020, 08:37:29 PM »

Good post Syd and your last paragraph sums up the paradox. How can anyone call themselves ‘Mod’ if they’re obsessed with the past? It’s a fair question but for me the ne plus ultra of menswear was that early sixties style. Luckily for me it’s classic enough to be adaptable into today’s world without looking like fancy dress / cosplay so I’m happy to admit being influenced by that look even though with the exception of one or two vintage acquisitions the vast majority of my current threads were acquired in the last ten years, so fairly modern, right?

Also - a large part of what motivates my clothing purchases is ‘will this look OK in the next X years?’ as if I throw down some dough for a suit, jacket etc I want to be able to wear it for years to come, so unlike the sixties Mods I’m not interested in fast fashion and one-upmanship and rapid evolution. I carefully decided what I think looked good in the past, continues to look good now and will continue to look good in the future and have that thought in the back of my mind when deciding if I should get something.

And bringing this back to the ‘what’s the latest item you bought’ theme of the thread - I just got a bright blue solid linen Boglioli cotton-linen blazer. Three buttons, side vents, semi-slim lapels. Would not look out of place in the pages of Richard Barnes’ book, but acquired brand new from ebay!
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 08:41:40 PM by Rod »

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5158 on: October 17, 2020, 12:24:30 PM »

Good post Syd and your last paragraph sums up the paradox. How can anyone call themselves ĎModí if theyíre obsessed with the past? Itís a fair question but for me the ne plus ultra of menswear was that early sixties style. Luckily for me itís classic enough to be adaptable into todayís world without looking like fancy dress / cosplay so Iím happy to admit being influenced by that look even though with the exception of one or two vintage acquisitions the vast majority of my current threads were acquired in the last ten years, so fairly modern, right?

Also - a large part of what motivates my clothing purchases is Ďwill this look OK in the next X years?í as if I throw down some dough for a suit, jacket etc I want to be able to wear it for years to come, so unlike the sixties Mods Iím not interested in fast fashion and one-upmanship and rapid evolution. I carefully decided what I think looked good in the past, continues to look good now and will continue to look good in the future and have that thought in the back of my mind when deciding if I should get something.

And bringing this back to the Ďwhatís the latest item you boughtí theme of the thread - I just got a bright blue solid linen Boglioli cotton-linen blazer. Three buttons, side vents, semi-slim lapels. Would not look out of place in the pages of Richard Barnesí book, but acquired brand new from ebay!

Totally with you, Rod, maybe the key issue here is that the classic early 60s clobber, that to me was the absolute peak of 20th Century men's fashion, has stood the test of time (unlike other decades' stuff) and still seems appropiate for guys our age, be it mod, Ivy or whatever you choose to call it. It's somehow an out-of-trends, timeless style by now.

On your latest purchase, I hope it'll get adequately featured here or at least in your blog  8)

Rod

• View Profile
« Reply #5159 on: October 17, 2020, 01:01:46 PM »

Good post Syd and your last paragraph sums up the paradox. How can anyone call themselves ĎModí if theyíre obsessed with the past? Itís a fair question but for me the ne plus ultra of menswear was that early sixties style. Luckily for me itís classic enough to be adaptable into todayís world without looking like fancy dress / cosplay so Iím happy to admit being influenced by that look even though with the exception of one or two vintage acquisitions the vast majority of my current threads were acquired in the last ten years, so fairly modern, right?

Also - a large part of what motivates my clothing purchases is Ďwill this look OK in the next X years?í as if I throw down some dough for a suit, jacket etc I want to be able to wear it for years to come, so unlike the sixties Mods Iím not interested in fast fashion and one-upmanship and rapid evolution. I carefully decided what I think looked good in the past, continues to look good now and will continue to look good in the future and have that thought in the back of my mind when deciding if I should get something.

And bringing this back to the Ďwhatís the latest item you boughtí theme of the thread - I just got a bright blue solid linen Boglioli cotton-linen blazer. Three buttons, side vents, semi-slim lapels. Would not look out of place in the pages of Richard Barnesí book, but acquired brand new from ebay!

Totally with you, Rod, maybe the key issue here is that the classic early 60s clobber, that to me was the absolute peak of 20th Century men's fashion, has stood the test of time (unlike other decades' stuff) and still seems appropiate for guys our age, be it mod, Ivy or whatever you choose to call it. It's somehow an out-of-trends, timeless style by now.

On your latest purchase, I hope it'll get adequately featured here or at least in your blog  8)

Will definitely post pics here and on the blog when itís ready. Boglioli sends their jackets with unfinished sleeves and a packet of buttons so Iíll have to drop this off at the tailor. I live in a semi-remote area and the tailor is about 25 miles away near the airport so I usually stop by there whenever Iím flying - which would ordinarily be almost every week but is obviously few and far between these days.

Blog updates have been a bit sparse too - partly as I havenít been dressed so often but also Wordpress did another update making it ridiculously difficult to post basic stuff and Iím still fighting with the new system.