Author Topic: Whats the last item you bought?  (Read 1765767 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the last item you bought?
« Reply #5390 on: May 25, 2021, 05:40:55 PM »
I reckon you would need to expalin what a Mod is now to a large proportion of the general public . The Two-Tone explosion and the movie Quadrophenia certainly would have brought it home to people in the late 7ts early 8ts but there hasn't been anything like that for a long time . .

I make you right, my friend. My son, in spite of having watched "Quad" with his venerable dad, sees the whole stuff as an esoteric alien thing (though through discussions we've had he somewhat admits I'm knowledgeable about clothes, fashion trends and the like; the other day we were discussing for instance the Supreme business model as opposed to the big names' in the luxury market) and of course -sartorially speaking- as an ancient style.

That said, and correct me if I'm wrong, I think that the Mod culture is to a certain extent ingrained by now in the British psyche (the "comedy mods" phenomenon as proof of that), so at least some notions of it have permeated the younger generations, however vague and inaccurate they are. Here it's totally underground by now.

I agree with Andy Morling -of "Mod Ghosts" fame- though, the mod scene is on its last legs, as there's no significant (in numbers at least) new blood replacements for its aging members in the foreseeable future.

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: May 25, 2021, 05:49:37 PM »

Don't wear your roundel badge with the word 'Mod' emblazoned across it; I'm wearing that one!!  ;D

s**t!!!!  >:(

;D

I'm sure Adam will let you wear his 'mods rule' badge.  I've got a 'We'll fight em on the beaches' badge he can wear; that's much more appropriate for where he lives!!   ;D ;D ;D

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: May 25, 2021, 07:03:17 PM »

I agree with Andy Morling -of "Mod Ghosts" fame- though, the mod scene is on its last legs, as there's no significant (in numbers at least) new blood replacements for its aging members in the foreseeable future.

Interesting view and I hadnít thought about it in that way. Donít know what to think about that. I was alarmed for a moment then remembered I live in such an isolated Mod bubble consisting of me and at some distance you lot that the apparent demise of our thing probably wouldnít affect me much Iíll just keep cracking on but Iím sure Iíd miss the banter and discussions. The reason I created the blog was to connect. It doesnít matter if your hobby is clothes, cars, antiques, home brewing, fishing or trainspotting itís much more fun when you have like minded people to share your thoughts with.

Reminds me a bit of the Essence Festival which takes place every July 4th weekend in New Orleans. I started going for the music - Stevie Wonder, Patti Labelle, Chaka Khan, Luther Vandross, Barry White, Cameo, Maceo Parker, Millie Jackson, Earth Wind and Fire, Isley Bros, Bobby Blue Bland, Rachelle Ferrell, The Time, Prince, Chic, Maxwell, Erykah Badu and always finishing with Frankie and Maze

After a while it became like a family reunion among the people Iíd met there and music took a bit of a back seat. At some point the organizers must have realised they had a shrinking demographic of us old people who were into old school music so started trying to reach for a younger crowd and I probably wouldnít recognise half the people who theyíve had on in recent years. Everything has to change and move on but I do miss those days and those concerts. A lot of the people who I met and were regular attendees year on year donít bother any more.

I wonder what itís like for these Mod weekenders which share some of that sort of demographic. Even leaving aside the effects of the plague, I wonder if attendance is gradually tapering down as people get older and canít be arsed any more. Maybe thereíll be a bit of resurgence as so many will be desperate to get out and do something - anything - but I imagine the demographic is shrinking and without a lot of new blood coming in theyíll end up being a quaint gathering for old geezers on scooters!

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: May 25, 2021, 08:03:38 PM »
I reckon you would need to expalin what a Mod is now to a large proportion of the general public . The Two-Tone explosion and the movie Quadrophenia certainly would have brought it home to people in the late 7ts early 8ts but there hasn't been anything like that for a long time . .

I make you right, my friend. My son, in spite of having watched "Quad" with his venerable dad, sees the whole stuff as an esoteric alien thing (though through discussions we've had he somewhat admits I'm knowledgeable about clothes, fashion trends and the like; the other day we were discussing for instance the Supreme business model as opposed to the big names' in the luxury market) and of course -sartorially speaking- as an ancient style.

That said, and correct me if I'm wrong, I think that the Mod culture is to a certain extent ingrained by now in the British psyche (the "comedy mods" phenomenon as proof of that), so at least some notions of it have permeated the younger generations, however vague and inaccurate they are. Here it's totally underground by now.

The last Mod event l was at(2019) with our esteemed friend , it was attended by very much mixed ages l would say from around 25 to around 60 and certainly amoungst the ladies , the young ones were the best dressed with amazing attention to detail .

Also , before restrictions kicked in l would often go into the city of a weekend to meet my Buddies for a quite libation or if l went in on an evening  with MrsBond , l would often give and get a friendly nod from a similarly attired Mod. I even had a young Mod come up to me in the supermarket one day and ask me what make my boots were(Loake) . .
So, maybe Mods are not as numerous as they once were but l don't think are quite finished yet . I need to drive up to the Westend tomorrow morning and l can almost guarantee l will see a Mod on a scooter at some point there.........
LET'S GO BRANDON!!

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: May 26, 2021, 12:45:47 PM »

Don't wear your roundel badge with the word 'Mod' emblazoned across it; I'm wearing that one!!  ;D

s**t!!!!  >:(

;D

I'm sure Adam will let you wear his 'mods rule' badge.  I've got a 'We'll fight em on the beaches' badge he can wear; that's much more appropriate for where he lives!!   ;D ;D ;D

Perfect. Thanks.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: May 26, 2021, 05:25:26 PM »

The last Mod event l was at(2019) with our esteemed friend , it was attended by very much mixed ages l would say from around 25 to around 60 and certainly amoungst the ladies , the young ones were the best dressed with amazing attention to detail .

Also , before restrictions kicked in l would often go into the city of a weekend to meet my Buddies for a quite libation or if l went in on an evening  with MrsBond , l would often give and get a friendly nod from a similarly attired Mod. I even had a young Mod come up to me in the supermarket one day and ask me what make my boots were(Loake) . .
So, maybe Mods are not as numerous as they once were but l don't think are quite finished yet . I need to drive up to the Westend tomorrow morning and l can almost guarantee l will see a Mod on a scooter at some point there.........

I was just echoing a pretty common complaint among elder members of the British scene in mod-related FB groups (though I've heard similar rants coming from non-British mods): that the current scene is dominated at large by people in their 40s and 50s, and it doesn't attract youngsters in sizeable numbers.
Let's put it other way: chances are that if you attend a do these days,70% (being generous) of the punters are middle-aged ladies and gents. Just picture the same situation 20 years ago. I'm not suggesting a sudden vanishing of mods (nothing like a meteor finishing the dinosaurs' age  ;D), but a slow decay that will end in modernism being the arcane preserve of a few commited eccentrics.  Hey, and there's nothing intrinsecally wrong with that, nothing lasts forever.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: May 26, 2021, 05:34:01 PM »

Interesting view and I hadnít thought about it in that way. Donít know what to think about that. I was alarmed for a moment then remembered I live in such an isolated Mod bubble consisting of me and at some distance you lot that the apparent demise of our thing probably wouldnít affect me much Iíll just keep cracking on but Iím sure Iíd miss the banter and discussions. The reason I created the blog was to connect. It doesnít matter if your hobby is clothes, cars, antiques, home brewing, fishing or trainspotting itís much more fun when you have like minded people to share your thoughts with.

Reminds me a bit of the Essence Festival which takes place every July 4th weekend in New Orleans. I started going for the music - Stevie Wonder, Patti Labelle, Chaka Khan, Luther Vandross, Barry White, Cameo, Maceo Parker, Millie Jackson, Earth Wind and Fire, Isley Bros, Bobby Blue Bland, Rachelle Ferrell, The Time, Prince, Chic, Maxwell, Erykah Badu and always finishing with Frankie and Maze

After a while it became like a family reunion among the people Iíd met there and music took a bit of a back seat. At some point the organizers must have realised they had a shrinking demographic of us old people who were into old school music so started trying to reach for a younger crowd and I probably wouldnít recognise half the people who theyíve had on in recent years. Everything has to change and move on but I do miss those days and those concerts. A lot of the people who I met and were regular attendees year on year donít bother any more.

I wonder what itís like for these Mod weekenders which share some of that sort of demographic. Even leaving aside the effects of the plague, I wonder if attendance is gradually tapering down as people get older and canít be arsed any more. Maybe thereíll be a bit of resurgence as so many will be desperate to get out and do something - anything - but I imagine the demographic is shrinking and without a lot of new blood coming in theyíll end up being a quaint gathering for old geezers on scooters!

As another "mod bubble" inhabitant  ;D, I tend to agree with you, Rod. Maybe Mod morphs to meet the demands of a different, social media denizens generation, but then the essence of what's mainly a retro culture could get damaged beyond repair in the process.

Lord Mulberry

• Absolute Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: June 03, 2021, 04:31:57 PM »
Gone for one of these from M&S ... very Bond I think

Do it well

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: June 03, 2021, 10:58:43 PM »
Was able to grab one of these from John Simons:

Really wanted a short sleeve, but they were sold out... this may end up a short sleeve eventually.  ::)
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: June 04, 2021, 09:49:24 AM »
Was able to grab one of these from John Simons:

Really wanted a short sleeve, but they were sold out... this may end up a short sleeve eventually.  ::)

All's well that ends well, Mike, glad for you, that's quite nice