Author Topic: Whats the last item you bought?  (Read 1649289 times)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the last item you bought?
« Reply #5060 on: September 26, 2020, 05:22:40 PM »
Received three of the new Jackpot shirts from Mod Shoes this week (I'm getting some of my Christmas presents in early  ;D).

1. The Blue, Red, Orange Large Tartan L/S - https://www.modshoes.co.uk/product/the-jackpot-blue-red-orange-large-tartan-high-collar-button-down-long-sleeve-shirt-mod-skin-style-copy/
2. The Brown, Orange, White Tartan S/S (I wanted the L/S but they'd already sold out in my size  :() - https://www.modshoes.co.uk/product/the-jackpot-brown-orange-white-tartan-high-collar-button-down-short-sleeve-shirt-mod-skin-style/
3. The Turquoise Tartan L/S - https://www.modshoes.co.uk/product/the-jackpot-turquoise-tartan-high-collar-button-down-long-sleeve-shirt-mod-skin-style/

I then went on the site last night to see they've released further Monkey Jackets in new colours.  Pondering the Caramel, which I think would go nicely with a few tops I've got.  Now, who can I ask to get me this for Christmas  ;D

The Jackpot is the show's stealer to me, Chilli, but Andy's shirts are a deserved sucess. Enjoy them!

Err, which one Rafa; they're all Jackpot shirts  ;D

I'm sure I will get to enjoy them; eventually  :(

Sorry, you're right, I meant this one: https://www.modshoes.co.uk/product/the-jackpot-turquoise-tartan-high-collar-button-down-long-sleeve-shirt-mod-skin-style/
Unfortunately , not in small faces sizing. .

Andrew told me they'd try to cover all sizes, Simon, as he himself has tiny mates, but maybe not with these. The racing jacket I bought from him was a S and fit was quite good if a bit on the wide side.

I have a couple of pairs of shoes from him and sized down on both. Nice shirts but l am clearly not a 38" so don't wear that size . When l walked into buy my Argyll kilt jacket the guy said to me , "Ah you're a 34"  . To my great surprise it fitted whereas l would generally buy a 36" .
Sizing is all over the shop nowadays.  Claudio is the same size as me so l just ask him if the item fits him l( if l were buying from him) lol
LET'S GO BRANDON!!

Becky_Moffitt_83

• Mod Goddess... enough said!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: September 26, 2020, 05:39:31 PM »
Received three of the new Jackpot shirts from Mod Shoes this week (I'm getting some of my Christmas presents in early  ;D).

1. The Blue, Red, Orange Large Tartan L/S - https://www.modshoes.co.uk/product/the-jackpot-blue-red-orange-large-tartan-high-collar-button-down-long-sleeve-shirt-mod-skin-style-copy/
2. The Brown, Orange, White Tartan S/S (I wanted the L/S but they'd already sold out in my size  :() - https://www.modshoes.co.uk/product/the-jackpot-brown-orange-white-tartan-high-collar-button-down-short-sleeve-shirt-mod-skin-style/
3. The Turquoise Tartan L/S - https://www.modshoes.co.uk/product/the-jackpot-turquoise-tartan-high-collar-button-down-long-sleeve-shirt-mod-skin-style/

I then went on the site last night to see they've released further Monkey Jackets in new colours.  Pondering the Caramel, which I think would go nicely with a few tops I've got.  Now, who can I ask to get me this for Christmas  ;D

The Jackpot is the show's stealer to me, Chilli, but Andy's shirts are a deserved sucess. Enjoy them!

Err, which one Rafa; they're all Jackpot shirts  ;D

I'm sure I will get to enjoy them; eventually  :(

Sorry, you're right, I meant this one: https://www.modshoes.co.uk/product/the-jackpot-turquoise-tartan-high-collar-button-down-long-sleeve-shirt-mod-skin-style/
Unfortunately , not in small faces sizing. .

Andrew told me they'd try to cover all sizes, Simon, as he himself has tiny mates, but maybe not with these. The racing jacket I bought from him was a S and fit was quite good if a bit on the wide side.

I have a couple of pairs of shoes from him and sized down on both. Nice shirts but l am clearly not a 38" so don't wear that size . When l walked into buy my Argyll kilt jacket the guy said to me , "Ah you're a 34"  . To my great surprise it fitted whereas l would generally buy a 36" .
Sizing is all over the shop nowadays.  Claudio is the same size as me so l just ask him if the item fits him l( if l were buying from him) lol

I have the same issue, but in trousers/skirts. Sometimes I can be a 6, 8 or 10! It always depends on which brand you buy. Fortunately when I buy vintage dresses, I'll have them all altered to fit as buying my size 6/8 (Twiggy) is extremely rare.  :o

As for shoes, I am a UK 6, AUS 8, US 8 or 9, EU 39. I have a second hand pair of Weejuns (best $6 investment ever) at a US 8.5 that fit perfect too.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 05:43:48 PM by Becky_Moffitt_83 »
“The fashionable woman wears clothes. The clothes don't wear her.” Mary Quant

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: September 26, 2020, 07:20:26 PM »
Yeah this is a real ball ache for me too.

The current era we’re in of internet purchases, made even more common among those of us who seek bargains and more unique items from niche vendors than can be found from your local Top Shop, H and M or whatever, means that we are acutely aware of the whole palaver around sizing.

Even our board sponsor Jump The Gun has a webstore peppered with phrases like “these come up small so order a size larger than normal” - this is somewhat offset by their great internet / telephone customer service but why not publish the actual measured dimensions in the first place instead of leaving us to the vaguaries of guess work?

Shoes are the worst. I realise feet come in all manner of weird shapes but even just for length, you’d think a cast iron piece of equipment like a Brannock would get you close to your size. I measure 9.5 on a US Brannock and don’t have a single pair of shoes above 8.5.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: September 27, 2020, 10:08:57 AM »
Yep, sizing is a lottery regarding Internet purchases. Totally agree with Rod, the way to go for the retailer should be publishing the actual garment's measures in every size, like Uniqlo do. Problem is huge businesses like Yoox can't be bothered with doing that, but at least they indicate the length of the tops (although as they just give one lenght, you have to guess which size it belongs to: I guess the Medium).

Simon, I'm more or less your size, and while that means 36" tops fit me right, more often than not I'm a "34 in sports jackets or coats: that "discrepancy" makes me very cautious about purchasing said items in Internet. Same (or worse) with shoes, especially loafers: as Becky, I'm a EU 39 (Brit 6), and fortunately my feet are "normal" shape, but it's increasingly difficult to find men's footwear in my size, and you always run the risk of them being too big.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5064 on: September 27, 2020, 11:32:53 AM »
Yep, sizing is a lottery regarding Internet purchases. Totally agree with Rod, the way to go for the retailer should be publishing the actual garment's measures in every size, like Uniqlo do. Problem is huge businesses like Yoox can't be bothered with doing that, but at least they indicate the length of the tops (although as they just give one lenght, you have to guess which size it belongs to: I guess the Medium).

Simon, I'm more or less your size, and while that means 36" tops fit me right, more often than not I'm a "34 in sports jackets or coats: that "discrepancy" makes me very cautious about purchasing said items in Internet. Same (or worse) with shoes, especially loafers: as Becky, I'm a EU 39 (Brit 6), and fortunately my feet are "normal" shape, but it's increasingly difficult to find men's footwear in my size, and you always run the risk of them being too big.
Shoes are one of the items I have maybe the least problem buying on line, and I maybe that's a good idea as to put actual measurements on a site, but depending on the maker, that's gong to present it's own issues.
Big makers like Fred Perry or A&F, Uniqlo, even Ralph Lauren etc., have many vendors in different factories making items. That's where the inconsistency in sizes occurs, too.
DNA being a small outfit, It's easy for Claudio to guarantee consistency, I have Fred Perry tops in both Med. and Large sizes that are the same size when you lay them on top of each other.
It's going to be more trouble for the sites to post measurements for each Item they sell, my guess is they won't bother.
I call first I'm not sure about sizing.
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: September 27, 2020, 09:43:32 PM »

When it comes to online shopping , my preference is Jump the Gun , Cladius or even AoL where you can speak to them and tell them your requirements and so far , l have not had to send anything back to any of those companies . I think l have one item l got in an Uniqulo sale that was a perfect fit but maybe l was lucky .
At the moment most shops are not allowing one to try anything on (covert 20 is obviously hiding in the changing rooms ) , so l would only buy from a shop that is close by so that l can easily return it , fortunately l do have a TKMaxx and a Next , close by , even an M&S.
My tailor is fully up and running again so that l can get trousers adjusted but l don't really want to go much beyond that since like most other things they have jacked their prices up(probably covert21 , again). .
LET'S GO BRANDON!!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: September 28, 2020, 11:01:21 AM »

When it comes to online shopping , my preference is Jump the Gun , Cladius or even AoL where you can speak to them and tell them your requirements and so far , l have not had to send anything back to any of those companies . I think l have one item l got in an Uniqulo sale that was a perfect fit but maybe l was lucky .
At the moment most shops are not allowing one to try anything on (covert 20 is obviously hiding in the changing rooms ) , so l would only buy from a shop that is close by so that l can easily return it , fortunately l do have a TKMaxx and a Next , close by , even an M&S.
My tailor is fully up and running again so that l can get trousers adjusted but l don't really want to go much beyond that since like most other things they have jacked their prices up(probably covert21 , again). .

Uniqlo's sizes can vary from one kind of garment to another, but usually run a wee big (I even have an XXS sports' jacket from them!) but the measurements they provide in the website are quite thorough and accurate so usually no problem (I've never returned them anything; my wife did however  ;D)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: September 28, 2020, 11:02:52 AM »

Shoes are one of the items I have maybe the least problem buying on line, and I maybe that's a good idea as to put actual measurements on a site, but depending on the maker, that's gong to present it's own issues.
Big makers like Fred Perry or A&F, Uniqlo, even Ralph Lauren etc., have many vendors in different factories making items. That's where the inconsistency in sizes occurs, too.
DNA being a small outfit, It's easy for Claudio to guarantee consistency, I have Fred Perry tops in both Med. and Large sizes that are the same size when you lay them on top of each other.
It's going to be more trouble for the sites to post measurements for each Item they sell, my guess is they won't bother.
I call first I'm not sure about sizing.

Bang on, Mike, the bigger the label/brand the bigger the sizing/fit inconsistencies

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: September 28, 2020, 03:46:23 PM »
Talking about which, I've been lucky with the size of this (thanks for the heads-up once more, Laird!), even the sleeves, which is almost a first. For those interested, don't expect a soft touch knit, it's more of a sturdy, thick cotton (polycotton tbh), which I don't mind, and the pocket comes handy  ;D. Plain colour makes it really versatile to wear with tees and tops beneath:

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: September 28, 2020, 05:08:46 PM »
Talking about which, I've been lucky with the size of this (thanks for the heads-up once more, Laird!), even the sleeves, which is almost a first. For those interested, don't expect a soft touch knit, it's more of a sturdy, thick cotton (polycotton tbh), which I don't mind, and the pocket comes handy  ;D. Plain colour makes it really versatile to wear with tees and tops beneath:

Indeed , indeed . You could use the pocket for your Ducados/Fortunas. 
LET'S GO BRANDON!!