Author Topic: Whats the last item you bought?  (Read 1484375 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the last item you bought?
« Reply #5130 on: October 15, 2020, 10:00:50 AM »

Rafa, there's absolutely nothing rational about it, and in normal everyday life I consider myself to be quite a laid back, sensible person  ::).   I'm 55 so should know better  ;D but there's something inside that makes all rational thought go straight out of the window when items of clothing in those colours are concerned. 

It goes back generations; my grandad, then my Dad, then me, now my son all follow Wednesday; in fact my daughter's initials are SWFC  :o (my wife wouldn't let me do the same with my son, which is quite ironic because my daughter couldn't care less about the game whereas my son is chip off the old block).  Go figure!!

And yes, you're absolutely right, the colours on the polo are spot on  ;)

Paul, it's not I haven't been exposed to a football supporting environment since I was a kid, quite the opposite: my father couldn't care less, but my Mum has been member of Valencia CF since her own childhood, like her Grandfather before her (he took her as a mere toddler to Mestalla) and still keeps 3 passes/seats in the stadium. She's been involved in lobbies and Valencia's supporters' clubs, even as a member of the club Foundation.

On the other side, my father-in-law was a professional football player -goalkeeper for Valencia CF, Sabadell and other clubs in the 60s- and professional coach later, so football runs in his family's blood too; in fact, my son's been playing in grassroots teams (including Valencia CF again) since he was 4 years old (he's 16 now).

But as it happens football has taken with the passing years a backseat to my other passions and interests, and I'm able to see that whole world from a cold, objective point of view that's at odds with the familiar hot, guts approach of the regular supporter, and yes, as you point out, to support a club IS a feeling, nothing rational about it (it's even funny when you think about it: for instance, when your team wins a match you really feel it's your victory, not just theirs). Even then, what I can't stomach or excuse is hooliganism or football aggro, it seems to me football becomes then an excuse to eschew self-control and indulge in mass mindless behaviour.

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5131 on: October 15, 2020, 11:53:37 AM »

Rafa, there's absolutely nothing rational about it, and in normal everyday life I consider myself to be quite a laid back, sensible person  ::).   I'm 55 so should know better  ;D but there's something inside that makes all rational thought go straight out of the window when items of clothing in those colours are concerned. 

It goes back generations; my grandad, then my Dad, then me, now my son all follow Wednesday; in fact my daughter's initials are SWFC  :o (my wife wouldn't let me do the same with my son, which is quite ironic because my daughter couldn't care less about the game whereas my son is chip off the old block).  Go figure!!

And yes, you're absolutely right, the colours on the polo are spot on  ;)

Paul, it's not I haven't been exposed to a football supporting environment since I was a kid, quite the opposite: my father couldn't care less, but my Mum has been member of Valencia CF since her own childhood, like her Grandfather before her (he took her as a mere toddler to Mestalla) and still keeps 3 passes/seats in the stadium. She's been involved in lobbies and Valencia's supporters' clubs, even as a member of the club Foundation.

On the other side, my father-in-law was a professional football player -goalkeeper for Valencia CF, Sabadell and other clubs in the 60s- and professional coach later, so football runs in his family's blood too; in fact, my son's been playing in grassroots teams (including Valencia CF again) since he was 4 years old (he's 16 now).

But as it happens football has taken with the passing years a backseat to my other passions and interests, and I'm able to see that whole world from a cold, objective point of view that's at odds with the familiar hot, guts approach of the regular supporter, and yes, as you point out, to support a club IS a feeling, nothing rational about it (it's even funny when you think about it: for instance, when your team wins a match you really feel it's your victory, not just theirs). Even then, what I can't stomach or excuse is hooliganism or football aggro, it seems to me football becomes then an excuse to eschew self-control and indulge in mass mindless behaviour.

We've both previously referred to our respective statures, so I can assure you that, at 5'6'', the last thing I'm interested in is squaring up to rival supporters at a match, though I'd be lying if I said I've never had to defend myself either, though those occasions have thankfully been quite rare.

I love the passion, camaraderie, and enjoyment that a day out at football can provide though, unfortunately some people take that too far.  I'm hopeful that at some point in the not too distant future, I'll be able to participate, with my son, in all that once again.     

Anyway, whilst I've enjoyed our little football-related discussion, it has taken this thread wildly off-topic so, to try to try to brings things back to the subject, I'm pleased to say that I received these beauties a little earlier this week - https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/867511497/corduroy-shoes-by-dr-watson-shoemaker?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=dr+watson&ref=sr_gallery-1-2
and wonderful they are too!! (I did mention these previously in the thread)

A little bit more mundane, I'm just awaiting receipt of a pair of Clarks dessies from TK Maxx that some kind soul put up on here a couple of weeks ago.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 12:00:22 PM by Chilli »

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #5132 on: October 15, 2020, 12:40:18 PM »
They are indeed beauties , Chilli. I wish you many years of comfort and wear in them.
I did notice that there is now a new style that has appeared there too , again l think they are beauties but l may be too old  to wear such a shoe now . .🤔
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5133 on: October 15, 2020, 12:51:40 PM »
They are indeed beauties , Chilli. I wish you many years of comfort and wear in them.
I did notice that there is now a new style that has appeared there too , again l think they are beauties but l may be too old  to wear such a shoe now . .🤔
You sure about that Simon, I've looked there, nothing struck me as being age inappropriate for me...which shoe?
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5134 on: October 15, 2020, 02:31:45 PM »

Is that 'The Neil' style you're referring to Simon?  I don't remember seeing them previously.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that, whilst I love many of the styles on the site, I do find quite a few of them a little bit too flamboyant for me to wear nowadays, though 20/30 years ago I'd have jumped on them with no hesitation, so I can understand where you're coming from.  However as the well known saying goes, 'you're only as old as the woman you feel'  ;D, and since my wife is 10 years younger than me, I'm sure I can get away with many of them  8)   
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 03:43:06 PM by Chilli »

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5135 on: October 15, 2020, 02:48:20 PM »

Is that 'The Neil' style you're referring to Simon?  I don't remember seeing them previously.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that, whilst I love many of the styles on the site, I do find quite a few of them a little bit too flamboyant for me to wear nowadays, though 20/30 years ago I'd have jumped on them with no hesitation, so I can understand where you're coming from.  However as the well known saying goes, ' only as old as the woman you feel'  ;D, and since my wife is 10 years younger than me, I'm sure I can get away with many of them  8)   
The only one's on the site I see for us "oldsters" that wouldn't work are the "Beatle Boots". Everything else I'd wear.

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5136 on: October 15, 2020, 03:53:39 PM »

I mentioned earlier in the thread that, whilst I love many of the styles on the site, I do find quite a few of them a little bit too flamboyant for me to wear nowadays, though 20/30 years ago I'd have jumped on them with no hesitation, so I can understand where you're coming from.  However as the well known saying goes, ' only as old as the woman you feel'  ;D, and since my wife is 10 years younger than me, I'm sure I can get away with many of them  8)   
The only one's on the site I see for us "oldsters" that wouldn't work are the "Beatle Boots". Everything else I'd wear.

Mike,

I absolutely don't disagree with you on that; however as with everything else, it's down to personal choice.  I think you made a really good point earlier in the thread about individuals having the choice to make up their own minds regardless of how 'flamboyant' it may look to others; what matters is that they do it well and with conviction and the results can look stunning.  Personally I know I couldn't pull off some of the looks that some others can, for a myriad of reasons; likewise I know that some styles of shoes wouldn't suit me and my dress style, though that shouldn't stop others regardless of their age - as long as it looks good.  I know as I grow old disgracefully, I've become more conservative in my dress sense, because that's what i feel comfortable in. 

As an aside, when those shoes above arrived the other day, I immediately 'waterproofed' them. My son came down and commented on them saying how different they were and that I often went for types of shoes that many others don't wear - so maybe I'm not as conservative as I think  ;)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: October 15, 2020, 04:08:58 PM »

Mike,

I absolutely don't disagree with you on that; however as with everything else, it's down to personal choice.  I think you made a really good point earlier in the thread about individuals having the choice to make up their own minds regardless of how 'flamboyant' it may look to others; what matters is that they do it well and with conviction and the results can look stunning.  Personally I know I couldn't pull off some of the looks that some others can, for a myriad of reasons; likewise I know that some styles of shoes wouldn't suit me and my dress style, though that shouldn't stop others regardless of their age - as long as it looks good.  I know as I grow old disgracefully, I've become more conservative in my dress sense, because that's what i feel comfortable in. 

As an aside, when those shoes above arrived the other day, I immediately 'waterproofed' them. My son came down and commented on them saying how different they were and that I often went for types of shoes that many others don't wear - so maybe I'm not as conservative as I think  ;)
Yeah, I think you might be onto something there, C., because those cord shoes aren't that "conservative", IMO  ;)
BTW, nothing more with being "conservative" looking in what one wears. ( Funny because a woman friend of mine here tells me I "dress like an old man")
I have the "Modshoes" cord shoes, but I do like the leather soles on your pair more.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2020, 04:11:23 PM by detroitmike »

Ematt

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5138 on: October 15, 2020, 05:19:30 PM »
I thought  those cord shoes were quite conservative when i first wore a pair in the early 80,s and still do now. Superb shoes.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: October 15, 2020, 06:51:45 PM »
I wouldn't use the term "conservative" in this instance, better "subtle" or "discreet", but I get your drift. BTW, Mike, that "old man" remark has turned a cliché for clueless people that detects an air of formality in someone else's attire, without being able to put a finger on it. A conservative way of thinking really  ;D.

Paul, I like those shoes a lot, enjoy them! And agree with you, one should be honest with himself, realize one's limitations and strengths, and then build a wardrobe according to them. I admit quite a few faux passes in my trajectory but the learning process keeps you alert and interested.