Author Topic: Whats the last item you bought?  (Read 1532015 times)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the last item you bought?
« Reply #5360 on: April 18, 2021, 07:21:09 PM »

I'm waiting to see what else Art Gallery release in their Spring/Summer range before deciding on new s/s tops. I do like this top though and might give it a try regardless of what else takes my fancy from them.

I like a lot their stuff but usually they are out of my size or l don't like it enough to buy it ( like the Kinks , l like a lot of their stuff but l never bought an actual kinks album). In fact l bought this one on the spur of the moment and wanted the free sticker, mostly.  .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: April 18, 2021, 08:36:28 PM »

I'm waiting to see what else Art Gallery release in their Spring/Summer range before deciding on new s/s tops. I do like this top though and might give it a try regardless of what else takes my fancy from them.

I like a lot their stuff but usually they are out of my size or l don't like it enough to buy it ( like the Kinks , l like a lot of their stuff but l never bought an actual kinks album). In fact l bought this one on the spur of the moment and wanted the free sticker, mostly.  .

Ha ha ha, that's an expensive 'free' sticker Neil 😂

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: April 19, 2021, 09:29:05 AM »
Nothing's really free, Paul.  ;) Anyway, I like AGC stuff, and quality is OK, but I miss a bit more risk in the design department (sometimes it feels "mod-by-numbers") and coherent sizing. That's why I'm more interested in brands like FarAfield and non-mod Italian clothiers these days.

Lord Mulberry

• Absolute Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: May 19, 2021, 02:58:34 PM »
Bagged myself a full button polo from Next. Taking a chance on quality but we'll see.  I went for the top one, but I do like the Ecru textured one below.  Thoughts? The lady had just put one on the rack and so I asked if they had my size and she said they'd just come in and she had just put one on the rack and advised to check online, which I did

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 03:05:05 PM by Lord Mulberry »
Do it well

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: May 19, 2021, 05:42:12 PM »
Oddly, the one you're asking about is pretty similar to an A&Fitch top I bought last year, so thumbs up from me, of course. Though A&F are better quality than Next, and softer to the touch, I find Next tops decent stuff for the money. The one you've grabbed is quite nice too (and collars seem kosher)! 8). Only weird detail is the bottom button's extremely high placing!  :o

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: May 21, 2021, 09:39:44 AM »
Cardies divide opinions, I know. But before someone (Rod?) yells: "Bring that man a pipe and a rocking chair!;D, let me state my case: I got this Wallace & Barnes one because it's got a powerful "Take Ivy" vibe about it; to these eyes, it's the kind of garment likely to appear in a Playboy menswear ad circa 1962. It was quite discounted too and it's 100% wool, so result IMO:

BTW, wishing a great weekend to all Forum members!!

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: May 21, 2021, 11:55:26 AM »
Decent looking cardie mi hermano. It us certainly quite a rare pattern and 100% wool is becoming harder to acquire.
I love cardies as long as they have no pockets and all of mine have fitba buttons in leather apart from the FP one l have which has fake leather buttons  even though it was over £100. I hadn't been wearing mine because it got warmer but now we are back to single figure on the  C scale , l had better look them back out . .have a great weekend hombre , hasta luego!
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #5367 on: May 21, 2021, 02:00:52 PM »
Bring that man a pipe and rocking chair!!😄😄 That made me chuckle (don’t forget the slippers!)
Actually it’s a decent version there Syd, looks better on the close up pic which pops the colours better. You know I like the red and blue combo.

I don’t own any cardigans and there is often a Perry Como / Val Doonigan connotation - especially if they’re in cream / beige / brown tones, but some of them look OK. I’m still open to getting a polo collared cardigan if and when I find the right one. I was in for a FP version last year but they buggered up my order and by the time I reordered they were out of stock so we’ll see what they come up with when their winter gear is released.

When the revival was dying out in the early eighties there were a bunch of lads round ours that we called “sunshine boys” or “softies”. They were into jangly guitar music like the Smiths, Lotus Eaters, some of the Glasgow scene* bands, Orange Juice, Housemartins, Aztec Camera etc. Their uniform seemed to be doc Martin shoes, baggy faded jeans, white polos and beige cardigans with leather football buttons. I think a few ex Mods crossed over into that scene.  They were harmless and there was never any friction with them but maybe that cemented my dislike of the grandad cardigan.

As for the Glasgow scene, there were loads of bands coming out of there for a while and even some of those who never made it were still decent. Simple Monds were problies the most famous. The Waterboys were poised for world domination before Mike Scott moved to Ireland to be a wandering folk troubadour! I got to see (and meet) Love and Money loads of times and they were severely under-rated. I also remember Simon Bates playing ‘Slide’ by The Big Dish touting them as the next big thing but they went nowhere ... except playing in our student Union at Leeds Carnegie where they went through their whole set and got ‘encored’ so many times they ran out of songs and played ‘Slide’ three times! Sad that they didn’t ‘make it’ either.

I don’t write about music much as it’s so subjective and divisive but that period in the mid eighties was a brilliant era for creativity and eclectic tastes.

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: May 21, 2021, 03:06:53 PM »
Bring that man a pipe and rocking chair!!😄😄 That made me chuckle (don’t forget the slippers!)
Actually it’s a decent version there Syd, looks better on the close up pic which pops the colours better. You know I like the red and blue combo.

I don’t own any cardigans and there is often a Perry Como / Val Doonigan connotation - especially if they’re in cream / beige / brown tones, but some of them look OK. I’m still open to getting a polo collared cardigan if and when I find the right one. I was in for a FP version last year but they buggered up my order and by the time I reordered they were out of stock so we’ll see what they come up with when their winter gear is released.

When the revival was dying out in the early eighties there were a bunch of lads round ours that we called “sunshine boys” or “softies”. They were into jangly guitar music like the Smiths, Lotus Eaters, some of the Glasgow scene* bands, Orange Juice, Housemartins, Aztec Camera etc. Their uniform seemed to be doc Martin shoes, baggy faded jeans, white polos and beige cardigans with leather football buttons. I think a few ex Mods crossed over into that scene.  They were harmless and there was never any friction with them but maybe that cemented my dislike of the grandad cardigan.

As for the Glasgow scene, there were loads of bands coming out of there for a while and even some of those who never made it were still decent. Simple Monds were problies the most famous. The Waterboys were poised for world domination before Mike Scott moved to Ireland to be a wandering folk troubadour! I got to see (and meet) Love and Money loads of times and they were severely under-rated. I also remember Simon Bates playing ‘Slide’ by The Big Dish touting them as the next big thing but they went nowhere ... except playing in our student Union at Leeds Carnegie where they went through their whole set and got ‘encored’ so many times they ran out of songs and played ‘Slide’ three times! Sad that they didn’t ‘make it’ either.

I don’t write about music much as it’s so subjective and divisive but that period in the mid eighties was a brilliant era for creativity and eclectic tastes.

The Big Dish I remember them, i remember buying 25 years, still like that tune.
Not stuck in the 60's

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: May 21, 2021, 05:18:44 PM »

When you get to be my age, you tend to avoid anything that may tip you into that Perry Como look... I'm all for "age appropriate" dress, just not "age acceleration", like throwing fuel on a smoldering fire, if you get my drift ;D ;D ;D
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."