Author Topic: Whats the last item you bought?  (Read 1765791 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the last item you bought?
« Reply #5540 on: September 15, 2021, 12:14:16 PM »
Back to my tailor -after close to 5 years!- for a "last hurrah" bespoke jacket. Pics and updates coming soon 😉

You're lucky, ours retired around 5 years ago and we're still looking for a quality replacement. None of the remaining tailors shape up in our city

LM - am I right in thinking you're based in Sheffield?  If so, we probably used the same tailor 😉.

Yep, Colin Starsmore who was on Station road at Darnall

Yes, that's him.  Like you, I haven't found anybody to replace him yet.  As I mentioned earlier, I'm toying with the idea of using a bespoke tailors in Hull, but it's quite a journey.  If you hear of anybody more local that comes recommended, let me know pal.
I've moaned about this a number of times here I know, but in Detroit real bespoke tailoring doesn't exist. There are a very few places you can do real bespoke, but they tend to be very conservative and are hesitant to work with you on something not "traditional". 
But I spoke to this small upstart business started a few years ago who are working towards making shirts and suiting 100% locally in Detroit. I brought them a sketch yesterday, and the fella I met with said give him a couple of weeks to work up a pattern, and we can move on from there. I'll see how this progresses...

That's positive news Mike, I hope it all goes well for you.

It does seem that bespoke tailors are a dying breed, and many of those who remain are extortionately expensive (I expect to pay a premium for bespoke, but some seem to take a liberty!!) or, as you state, are very 'traditional' and won't stray from that path.

The tailors I've found also use traditional tailoring methods (Saville Row trained no less!!), but do also cater for a Mod clientele, so they absolutely know what you want and are willing to work with you to achieve it.  I'm not desperate for anything bespoke at the moment, but I think by next Spring/early Summer I'll be looking to have a suit made as a bit of a treat (hopefully to be ready to wear to Brighton if everything goes to plan  ;))
Sounds good, C!
For suiting, I've settled to buy "off the peg" now since some of the previous exclusively bespoke tailors in the UK are selling their own lines (Sexton, Anderson Sheppard, even Mark Powell)
Trousers I seem to buy from Claudio almost exclusively.
The "trad Mod" suits I can get from Adam when I need one..
This jacket I'm working on will be a little different from anything I have, though.
So if it works out, I'll post pics

I'm the average height, arm/leg length for people in the UK but I'm a bit portly around the middle these days. Fortunately most short-fitting off the peg suits fit me well, but the problem is with modern fashion, as sold in the shops, it's not to my taste; so that's wear bespoke fills the gap. Last Saturday I dined out and looked out the window to see a group of 20 somethings trot past. Most wore white shirts, a waistcoat and skinny trousers which fitted like jeans. The problem was the the trousers they were wearing had a large window-pane design which looks insane on tight-fitting trousers. One lad wore a suit jacket which was double vented, but he had left in the large high contrast shipping/storing stitches holding the vents in place

Sartorial crimes a-plenty there, and I doubt things get better in the near future  >:(

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: September 15, 2021, 12:49:45 PM »
Fashions change, it's great, imagine if it always stayed the same. :D
Not stuck in the 60's

Chilli

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: September 15, 2021, 02:38:18 PM »

Yes fashion does change, and not always for the better, but style always remains constant.  I'd much rather remain stylish (IMHO), and be labelled 'retro', 'stuck in the 60s', etc, than be 'fashionable' and look a t**t  ;)

Mo

• Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream
    • View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: September 15, 2021, 02:52:39 PM »

Yes fashion does change, and not always for the better, but style always remains constant.  I'd much rather remain stylish (IMHO), and be labelled 'retro', 'stuck in the 60s', etc, than be 'fashionable' and look a t**t  ;)
Ha ha, I couldn't agree more.
And my soul has been psychedelicized.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: September 15, 2021, 08:41:54 PM »
Doesn't really change, it just recycles.
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5545 on: September 15, 2021, 08:45:44 PM »

I'm the average height, arm/leg length for people in the UK but I'm a bit portly around the middle these days. Fortunately most short-fitting off the peg suits fit me well, but the problem is with modern fashion, as sold in the shops, it's not to my taste; so that's wear bespoke fills the gap. Last Saturday I dined out and looked out the window to see a group of 20 somethings trot past. Most wore white shirts, a waistcoat and skinny trousers which fitted like jeans. The problem was the the trousers they were wearing had a large window-pane design which looks insane on tight-fitting trousers. One lad wore a suit jacket which was double vented, but he had left in the large high contrast shipping/storing stitches holding the vents in place

I blame the parents ;D Or maybe it's the "Instagram Influencers" :o

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: September 16, 2021, 11:01:45 AM »

I blame the parents ;D Or maybe it's the "Instagram Influencers" :o

Parents have always been the easy target, Mike! Now that I've become one, I see the unfairness of it all  ;D

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: September 16, 2021, 12:37:36 PM »

But that's the point just because you might not like it doesn't mean its worse, just like people on have stated 'certain mistakes' people make, well who says they're mistakes?  Them?  But they aren't any authority so it's irrelevant.

As for style remaining constant well thats ambiguous and certainly open to debate.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2021, 12:44:02 PM by dazlcfc »
Not stuck in the 60's

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5548 on: September 16, 2021, 08:27:00 PM »

But that's the point just because you might not like it doesn't mean its worse, just like people on have stated 'certain mistakes' people make, well who says they're mistakes?  Them?  But they aren't any authority so it's irrelevant.

As for style remaining constant well thats ambiguous and certainly open to debate.

Why would "certain mistakes" re: what people are wearing be a "whose to say" notion , but "style" is  "open to debate"?
They're both open to one's opinions, aren't they?

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: September 16, 2021, 08:32:35 PM »

Why would "certain mistakes" re: what people are wearing be a "whose to say" notion , but "style" is  "open to debate"?
They're both open to one's opinions, aren't they?

Exactly they are, that's what I said.  But there are statements on here like they are stating facts.
Not stuck in the 60's