Author Topic: Whats the last item you bought?  (Read 1765873 times)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Whats the last item you bought?
« Reply #5620 on: November 24, 2021, 06:27:32 PM »
Tbh, I don't like the v-neck being that high, because as Rod states I don't see the point; the garment underneath, be it a shirt or a turtleneck, a polo or whatever, must show. If not, I'd rather wear a crewneck jumper over a t-shirt.

GS, I like the high "V" for the reason I don't have to wear a shirt under it. Same with high neck crews. I like to wear just the jumper, sans shirt under it. I have a Smedley that has a higher "V", but I see your point it's kind of "redundant" with a crew neck.

Totally get it, Mike, but personally I wouldn't feel comfy wearing a v-neck with nothing underneath (like Jimmy in "Quad" with that black v-neck, remember?) or the collar of a tee protruding from it, v-necks always with a shirt for me.

Regarding crewnecks, it also depends on the fabric of the jumpers: if it's cotton I usually wear them with nothing under, if wool always a tee-shirt.
If I remember that correctly (and I haven't watched that film in ages), he wore a typical "low" V, which I wouldn't wear that way, Like a said Smedley makes a V neck that sits just right, not too low so you can wear a tee hidden underneath. Same with the Shetland crews I like  to wear with just a tee hidden under. Reminds me of George and Ringo's look in this:
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

russolo

• vanity save me from insanity
    • View Profile
« Reply #5621 on: November 25, 2021, 06:38:29 PM »
Tbh, I don't like the v-neck being that high, because as Rod states I don't see the point; the garment underneath, be it a shirt or a turtleneck, a polo or whatever, must show. If not, I'd rather wear a crewneck jumper over a t-shirt.

GS, I like the high "V" for the reason I don't have to wear a shirt under it. Same with high neck crews. I like to wear just the jumper, sans shirt under it. I have a Smedley that has a higher "V", but I see your point it's kind of "redundant" with a crew neck.

Totally get it, Mike, but personally I wouldn't feel comfy wearing a v-neck with nothing underneath (like Jimmy in "Quad" with that black v-neck, remember?) or the collar of a tee protruding from it, v-necks always with a shirt for me.

Regarding crewnecks, it also depends on the fabric of the jumpers: if it's cotton I usually wear them with nothing under, if wool always a tee-shirt.

Dont quite remember correctly as not seen the film in ages, but thought the v-neck without anything under was to depict how he was on the edge of a breakdown, or that he was in a rush ?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 06:48:17 PM by russolo »

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #5622 on: November 25, 2021, 07:07:45 PM »
Yeah it was all falling apart for him and he lost the attention to detail that was a key part of getting dressed as a Mod.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5623 on: November 25, 2021, 07:36:12 PM »
Back to track. I know we're far from Summer, but it's never too early to get ready, isn't it? Anyway, I came across this US brand owned by guys of Indian descent. They do a wide range of clothes, from blazers to dressing gowns, but it was the shorts (and to a certain extent their BD shirts) what caught my fancy.

Not easy to get nice and affordable plaid shorts these days, and these are the real deal: cotton madras handwoven in Chennai, hometown of madras plaids. I wouldn't pay full price but that Ali Baba's cave that's Yoox have them heavily reduced now:

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #5624 on: November 25, 2021, 08:34:55 PM »
Phenomenal,  seṇir.  .🤩
LET'S GO BRANDON!!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5625 on: November 26, 2021, 11:31:49 AM »
Phenomenal,  seṇir.  .🤩

Cheers, my friend, have a great weekend!

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: November 28, 2021, 01:52:56 PM »
Oh no...
So the 3 piece, PoW suit I ordered the other day and when I opened the box I saw these:

Luckily, they weren't glue on, so my tailor shop is removing them while they alter the trousers ::)
Why ruin a new, good suit with elbow patches??
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Lord Mulberry

• Absolute Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: November 28, 2021, 04:28:34 PM »
Oh no...
So the 3 piece, PoW suit I ordered the other day and when I opened the box I saw these:

Luckily, they weren't glue on, so my tailor shop is removing them while they alter the trousers ::)
Why ruin a new, good suit with elbow patches??

Glad to hear it, you don't want to look like a chemistry teacher  ;D
Do it well

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: November 28, 2021, 06:48:06 PM »
OK, I can get it on a tweed-like odd jacket; many high street Spanish cheapo brands -Massimo Dutti and El Ganso- do it routinely to, I guess, give them an air of British rustic nonchalance, but BB?!? On a suit jacket?!?

Not so long ago I saw a real nice tweed 3 buttons jacket by Beams + in Yoox, but to my chagrin it had the dreaded elbow patches attached. When I discovered they can be taken easily off if not glued, it was too late and my size had flown. :-\

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: December 08, 2021, 11:05:35 AM »
Last add to my knitwear collection and especifically to my Doppiaa knits' collection!

Made in Italy, 100% soft cotton, mop buttons and a PERFECT collar (and fit). It was a bit above my price threshold for knits -in spite of a HUGE discount- but I needed to get off my back the monkey of not getting me years ago a similar Lacoste top in my size.