Author Topic: Clothes bargains, pass 'em on...  (Read 531296 times)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: Clothes bargains, pass 'em on...
« Reply #1880 on: June 13, 2020, 12:58:58 PM »
Looks great that, Iíd be scared to wear it!

When I'm to wear mine I check out carefully the weather forecast, Rod!  ;)
Yes, l would wager that it is the heat that negates you wearing it mostly.  .
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: June 13, 2020, 03:15:55 PM »

Yeah totally understand. I have one in a caramel tan colour, itís a great jacket but Iím always cautious to wear it. Thatís why I got the leather one as an alternative if rain or beer is in the forecast.
I remember being home for Christmas in the early nineties, a time when me and my mates were fairly recent graduates and earning a wage for the first time. My mate shows up with a suede Levi jacket in a dark scarlet / cherry red colour that was class and would have cost a fair bit back then too. He wasnít very careful with it so it started to show signs of wear (dark areas with the nap flattened out) and the dye would run also. Memories of that still make me wary of suede.

There was a lad over on Styleforum who was a bit of an arse, I think he was from Singapore and I wasnít really into his style but he posted pics of a few suede truckers he owned including sky blue and aqua turquoise. Got me searching around and I saw some similar on eBay but declined to pull the trigger. Really cool looking jackets but more like museum pieces than practical items of clothing!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: June 13, 2020, 03:28:25 PM »

Yes, l would wager that it is the heat that negates you wearing it mostly.  .

You're certainly right, mr. Bond, the jacket itself doesn't face any risk of getting damaged at the moment but I could easily faint if I dared walking the streets with it on  ;D

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: June 13, 2020, 03:43:51 PM »

Yeah totally understand. I have one in a caramel tan colour, itís a great jacket but Iím always cautious to wear it. Thatís why I got the leather one as an alternative if rain or beer is in the forecast.
I remember being home for Christmas in the early nineties, a time when me and my mates were fairly recent graduates and earning a wage for the first time. My mate shows up with a suede Levi jacket in a dark scarlet / cherry red colour that was class and would have cost a fair bit back then too. He wasnít very careful with it so it started to show signs of wear (dark areas with the nap flattened out) and the dye would run also. Memories of that still make me wary of suede.

There was a lad over on Styleforum who was a bit of an arse, I think he was from Singapore and I wasnít really into his style but he posted pics of a few suede truckers he owned including sky blue and aqua turquoise. Got me searching around and I saw some similar on eBay but declined to pull the trigger. Really cool looking jackets but more like museum pieces than practical items of clothing!

Good stories, Rod, the moral being: suede truckers look cool as... but you have to REALLY like them -and commit yourself to look after them- to pull the trigger, as they're expensive and prone to be ruined easily. My Levi's one is a prized possession, but not an exhibit piece (I know people that buy clobber just to collect it, even hang it on their walls, but I'm not still in that group), so I try to wear it as often as I can while avoiding every potential risk; so far it has worked. I doubt I could have succeeded in my youth, with a much more active social life and all sorts of stimulants involved  ;D.

In fact, many years ago I had a suede trucker jacket in an olive shade bought in Istambul's Grand Bazaar. It was cheap-ish and more or less stood the test of time thanks to its dark-ish colour but in a few years it gave the ghost with its fair share of stains, cigarette burns' holes and the lining ripped here and there.

The Laird of Enfield

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: June 14, 2020, 03:11:32 PM »
Embdy tried sprayin' suede jaikets wi' that Crep stuff ye get fur trainers?

Rod

• Style in the Modern World
    • View Profile
« Reply #1885 on: June 14, 2020, 05:19:13 PM »

I thought about that. I spray my trainers from time to time but never tried it with a jacket. Donít see why it wouldnít work but would eat up the cans quickly and likely (temporarily) darken the lighter shaded jackets.

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: June 14, 2020, 05:55:55 PM »
No but I once washed in the washing machine and the tumble dried it , a suede jaiket that is
I wont make any deals with you , I've resigned. .
I wont be pushed, filed , stamped , indexed , briefed , debriefed OR NUMBERED!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1887 on: June 15, 2020, 09:55:16 AM »

I thought about that. I spray my trainers from time to time but never tried it with a jacket. Donít see why it wouldnít work but would eat up the cans quickly and likely (temporarily) darken the lighter shaded jackets.

I've done it and it certainly works without darkening the skin. Sprayed or not, I wouldn't wear them under the rain  ;)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: June 15, 2020, 09:56:03 AM »
No but I once washed in the washing machine and the tumble dried it , a suede jaiket that is

Did it survive?!?!  :o

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: June 15, 2020, 10:32:02 AM »

I've done it and it certainly works without darkening the skin. Sprayed or not, I wouldn't wear them under the rain  ;)

I haven't done it yet, but you can have a suede jacket "professionally waterproofed" at a cleaners, but again that's mostly for spills and the occasional "sprinkle", wouldn't trust it in a downpour...
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."