Author Topic: Seen any good films recently?  (Read 212194 times)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Seen any good films recently?
« Reply #500 on: February 06, 2021, 03:37:00 PM »
Haven't seen this yet but looks so good.

https://youtu.be/V5bLjXSFR7o

Another great shout, Mo! Looks terrific that!

Not a music film, but looking forward to "Judas and the Black Messiah" when it runs on HBO...
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: February 06, 2021, 10:37:19 PM »
Farenheit 451 , the Francios Truffaut  version of the 1953 Ray Bradbury story of a dystopian world where books are illegal and get burnt by 'firemen' basically . Whilst the movie has a real sixties feel to it with Julie Christie playing a double role and Oscar Werner as the co-star and husband /friend , the movie also has a futuristic feel to it with suspended monorail trains with airstairs and large flat screen tv's as well as tablet tv's. Apparently Bradbury wasn't keen on the Julie Christie double role but personnally l think it works . I first stummbled into the movie on the tv in the 7ts and it was great to revisit it and see how it had stood up to time ( you can catch it on yatube) .

As the film rolls we get to see more and more of the dystopian nightmare unfolding with state enforced censorship , not unlike what big tech is doing for the state at the moment . The other stark reality it presents that eerily echoes the world we are now living in is the empty streets and being people blindly obedient . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0OnobqlDlY

Good review, hermano. I also remember watching that on Spanish TV in the late 70s, and liking it (though as happens most of the times, the book is better). Truffaut you can always rely on him for delivering the goods and of course Julie Christie is beautiful and a good actress (she's great on "Darling"). Coincidentally, I've finished reading some days ago the Russian novel "We" by Yevgueni Zamiatin, a 20s book that heralded better known (and better, period) dystopian novels like "1984" or "Farenheit".

Si hermano , l discovered the Spanish version of Farenheit and l was tempted to watch it to brush up on my Castilian but l decided it might be better to brush up on my English and watch that version instead  8) . It is one of the few Bradbury stories l have never read but my daughter has a copy , so l may steal that one . Yes Christie is beautiful but l think l prefered her teacher look which to me was more Mod than the wife persona , loved those outfits and the hairstyle. .
I was not aware of the Russian book until you mentioned it but of course l have read Orwell's 1984 , it was a requirement at school , and again it is amazing how much of that novel has now come to pass , for Ministry of Truth for instance =Fact Checkers . .

Bradbury is undoubtedly the foremost sci-fi poet, his "Martian Chronicles" impressed me a lot many years ago, though I have a soft spot for one of his lesser books "The Illustrated Man", which I read as a youngster too, funnily spurred by watching the 70s movie with Rod Steiger (btw,another great, almost forgotten today, film).

Yes , l loved the Martian Chronicles and we got a tv series of it here in the 8ts l think which starred Rock Hudson and was a bit drab in comparison to the books . l loved all of Rod Steigers stuff including the Illustrated Man which , of course was made into a composite of Bradbury stories to give the full feature length which it rightly deserved . Last night I watched Farenheit again as my daughter wanted to see it , she reckoned it was close to the book and then she read The Pedestrian to me , a rather short story which of course also has echoes into today - Don't go ooot , ye. .
LET'S GO BRANDON!!

Mo

• Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: February 08, 2021, 10:49:52 AM »

Nice one, Mo. Have it marked on the calendar!
Unfortunately, it's not available on Prime in the UK as of yet. Damn.
And my soul has been psychedelicized.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: February 08, 2021, 06:43:50 PM »

Nice one, Mo. Have it marked on the calendar!
Unfortunately, it's not available on Prime in the UK as of yet. Damn.

A mate told me it'll go through some screenings in USA cinemas before arriving to any TV platform, Mo

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #504 on: February 08, 2021, 06:57:17 PM »
 Harry Belafonte , an often forgotten gem these days . 
LET'S GO BRANDON!!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: February 08, 2021, 07:12:16 PM »

I was wondering: "I know this guy", but the name eluded me. I even have one of his records called "Sings the Blues"

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #506 on: February 08, 2021, 10:16:19 PM »

I was wondering: "I know this guy", but the name eluded me. I even have one of his records called "Sings the Blues"
I have heard him singing  a plenty in my younger days and loved his rendition of the Banana Boat song but unfortunately l don't have any of his stuff. .
LET'S GO BRANDON!!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: February 09, 2021, 11:26:40 AM »

I have heard him singing  a plenty in my younger days and loved his rendition of the Banana Boat song but unfortunately l don't have any of his stuff. .

That's easy to sort out, my friend, lots of comps of his classic stuff and reissues of his LPs out there.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: February 14, 2021, 11:52:08 AM »
Found a film called Sophies Love completely by accident. Watched it yesterday and enjoyed it.
Set in the late 50s and moves on to 63.

https://youtu.be/SbjakuJZgww

Wow, great shout, Mo! I have Amazon, so I'll try to watch it next weekend.

Ha ha, I meant Sylvie not Sophie. Hope you enjoy the film as much as I did.

Finally I got to watch it last night, and I have to say I quite enjoyed it. Just don't expect a masterpiece of any kind, nor great surprises or twists story-wise. It's just an old fashioned love story, a soap opera or melodrama of sorts that works basically because it focuses on it and doesn't try to be anything more, and that's refreshing in an age when series and movies in any genre seem forced to make a sociopolitical statement.

As I said, this is not the case, politics are here of course (we're amidst the civil rights struggles era, after all) but they take a backseat to the somewhat cliché romantic plot. Of course, with those humble foundations you need something that ensures the appeal of the product, namely: 1. Good lead actors that get you interested in the characters' developement. The starring couple makes a great job, and with opposed acting styles they convey a chemistry that keeps you rooted for them without overacting (one of the usual pitfalls of melodramas). 2. A lavish package: the 50s-60s setting was a great background idea. It's worthy the price of admission alone, and provides the film with a fitting atmosphere for a traditional love story. Ditto the soundtrack, with some newly composed tunes of convincing hard-bop, and a blend of current jazz and pop timeless songs. And 3. A understated screenplay which avoids being overtly mawkish or stylized. In that sense, the actual script manages quite well to balance the different topics at play beyond the central love story: the professional goals of the characters, the racist environment, the impact of class differences...

Not a bad way of spending a couple of hours.

Mo

• Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: February 15, 2021, 11:42:17 AM »
Not a bad film at all, eh?
Really look forward to Judas and the Black Messiah.
And my soul has been psychedelicized.