Author Topic: Seen any good films recently?  (Read 212198 times)

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: Seen any good films recently?
« Reply #580 on: May 11, 2021, 02:37:49 PM »
Saw "West 11" the other night. Superb early 60's drama. And re watched the Ali documentary "When we were Kings". Brilliant.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 11, 2021, 09:28:47 PM »
Saw "West 11" the other night. Superb early 60's drama. And re watched the Ali documentary "When we were Kings". Brilliant.
"Kings" is still on my list, and even though I'm not supposed to admit it  ::) watched "A Rainy Day in New York"
Not one of his better ones, but the scenery, streets, and locations they used  made me determined to get back there ASAP...
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Adam

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 12, 2021, 12:32:26 PM »
"Kings" is still on my list, and even though I'm not supposed to admit it  ::) watched "A Rainy Day in New York"
Not one of his better ones, but the scenery, streets, and locations they used  made me determined to get back there ASAP...

Thanks for the "Rainy Day" tip. Never seen that one.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: May 12, 2021, 10:39:20 PM »

Thanks for the "Rainy Day" tip. Never seen that one.

It's streaming on Amazon Prime, Adam.

Number 6

• View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 16, 2021, 05:13:04 PM »
Not a new film, but rarely seen in the UK and worth a watch is ‘The Girl with a Pistol’ AKA ‘La Ragazza con la Pistola’ (1967) starring Monica Vitti. Talking Pictures have been showing it a bit recently.

Without giving away spoilers the action starts in Sicily, where the main mode of transport seems to be the Lambretta, and then moves to the UK.  One of the interesting things about the film, for the time, is that it isn’t just set in London but also takes place in Edinburgh, Sheffield, Bath and Brighton.  The Sheffield scenes in particular also star Tony ‘Randy Scouse Git’ Booth looking very 1966 and a few mod-looking extras.

All in all an interesting outsiders (Italian) view of ‘Swinging England’ and the Sicilian morals of the time.  Good soundtrack as well.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 10:24:41 AM by Number 6 »

Number 6

• View Profile
« Reply #585 on: May 16, 2021, 05:22:47 PM »

I do like ‘West 11’, probably Michael Winner’s best IMHO (along with ‘The Jokers’ and I’ll Never Forget What’s’isname’) Not dissimilar to ‘The Small World of Sammy Lee’ in subject matter and feel. And Diana Dors is always good value in whatever she’s in.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 17, 2021, 09:49:00 AM »
Not a new film, but rarely seen in the UK and worth a watch is ‘The Girl with a Pistol’ AKA ‘La Ragazza con la Pistola’ (1967) starring Monica Vitti. Talking Pictures have been showing it a bit recently.

Without giving away spoilers the action starts in Sicily, where the main mode of transport seems to be the Lambretta, and then moves to the UK.  One of the interesting things about the film, for the time, is that it isn’t just set in London but also takes place in Edinburgh, Sheffield, Bath and Brighton.  The Sheffield scenes in particular also star Tony ‘Randy Scouse Git’ looking very 1966 and a few mod-looking extras.

All in all an interesting outsiders (Italian) view of ‘Swinging England’ and the Sicilian morals of the time.  Good soundtrack as well.

I'd heard about that one, intriguing, maybe there's even a Spanish DVD issue, I'll investigate

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 22, 2021, 11:09:58 AM »
Stream "The Story of a Three Day Pass" restored 1968 film by Melvin Van Peebles, filmed when he was a ex-pat living in Paris.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLo6geyWTqU
Has a very Goddard "New Wave" vibe

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: May 22, 2021, 11:29:45 AM »
Stream "The Story of a Three Day Pass" restored 1968 film by Melvin Van Peebles, filmed when he was a ex-pat living in Paris.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLo6geyWTqU
Has a very Goddard "New Wave" vibe

Good shout, Mike!

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: May 25, 2021, 11:29:57 AM »
Not sure if it's been mentioned already but there's a short programme on mods and rockers filmed in 1964 on the bbc iplayer (and if you search for it on your TV).
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p04ch7h2/panorama-mods-and-rockers
Not stuck in the 60's