Author Topic: Seen any good films recently?  (Read 205591 times)

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
Re: Seen any good films recently?
« Reply #600 on: July 26, 2021, 09:32:21 AM »
Bought this for a ridiculously cheap price online. Haven't seen it for quite a few years.
One Plus One/Sympathy for the Devil, 1968

https://youtu.be/aAjC2L4hKBM

I also have that on DVD, fascinating document if only for the insiders' peek at the Stones recording process and the evolution of the song. Regarding Godard, it was his militant period and (to me at least) much less interesting than his first groundbreaking nouvelle vague pieces. If a casual viewer doesn't like the RS, he's in for a tough time.
I like the whole thing RAFA. Absolutely fascinating stuff.

But then we're true believers, my friend  ;)

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: July 26, 2021, 10:18:48 AM »
Bought this for a ridiculously cheap price online. Haven't seen it for quite a few years.

I also have that on DVD, fascinating document if only for the insiders' peek at the Stones recording process and the evolution of the song. Regarding Godard, it was his militant period and (to me at least) much less interesting than his first groundbreaking nouvelle vague pieces. If a casual viewer doesn't like the RS, he's in for a tough time.

Me too Mo. I'm a fan of Godard, so even his later period "out there" work is interesting to me...
There is an Indie director I came across a long time ago here named Hal Hartley. Very Godard influenced and worth a look if you're a fan...
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 26, 2021, 10:22:06 AM »

Me too Mo. I'm a fan of Godard, so even his later period "out there" work is interesting to me...
There is an Indie director I came across a long time ago here named Hal Hartley. Very Godard influenced and worth a look if you're a fan...

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 26, 2021, 04:54:57 PM »
Yes, he's always interesting, Mike, but to me many of his movies are flawed efforts and I struggle with some of them.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: July 26, 2021, 09:44:27 PM »
Yes, he's always interesting, Mike, but to me many of his movies are flawed efforts and I struggle with some of them.
Ever see "Contempt"?

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 27, 2021, 10:20:38 AM »
Ever see "Contempt"?

Many many years ago, I guess I liked it

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: July 27, 2021, 11:00:43 AM »
Ever see "Contempt"?

Worth another look. There's one shot in it of Bardot, just a brief montage w/o sound that's burned into my memory ;D
That's one of the things Godard does with a camera that makes his films for me...

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: July 27, 2021, 04:57:14 PM »
Ever see "Contempt"?

Worth another look. There's one shot in it of Bardot, just a brief montage w/o sound that's burned into my memory ;D
That's one of the things Godard does with a camera that makes his films for me...

He was a master of visuals, take for instance "Alphaville", a bit of nonsense but fascinating.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: July 28, 2021, 11:39:34 AM »
Ever see "Contempt"?

He was a master of visuals, take for instance "Alphaville", a bit of nonsense but fascinating.
I give him a lot of leeway because I assume a lot of his work is improvised. But it works for me !

Mo

• Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: July 28, 2021, 02:46:57 PM »

Never heard of Hartley, Mike. I'll check him out.
As for Karina, I'm a sucker so I'll watch anything with her in it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 02:53:39 PM by Mo »
And my soul has been psychedelicized.