Author Topic: What gigs have you been to? feedback ect.  (Read 207206 times)

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
Re: What gigs have you been to? feedback ect.
« Reply #520 on: June 03, 2019, 12:04:42 PM »
Good stuff. Hope you enjoy it fella but sounds like you will

Robin_Wick

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 03, 2019, 01:17:55 PM »
Off to see Doves on Saturday,not mod not new but effin brilliant live!

'Black And White Town' is essentially a Motown stomp to be fair!

Great band!

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 03, 2019, 01:22:25 PM »

Sounds fab , do have a spiffing time young man and remember to give us all a debriefing afterwards. .
LET'S GO BRANDON!!

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 03, 2019, 02:30:36 PM »
Will do boss!

Just to keep it on topic,I will be going straight from gig to Glasgow's Mod night Tailor Made.  8)

Woody 64

• Old fogey
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 03, 2019, 02:35:41 PM »

'Black And White Town' is essentially a Motown stomp to be fair!

Great band!

Yer not wrong Robin,not seen them since the Barrowland in the early 2000's,cannae wait!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #525 on: June 03, 2019, 03:35:28 PM »
Will do boss!

Just to keep it on topic,I will be going straight from gig to Glasgow's Mod night Tailor Made.  8)

A busy schedule you got there, hermano, enjoy!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 23, 2019, 04:13:13 PM »
Vermouth session for me at the seaside Veles e Vents building, with a double bill with the Batx-Lords, a band of music students tutored by my mate Vicen (trombone supreme and keyboardist) and Valencia's pride, Los Mocetones, a superb party band if there ever was one. Great sound, great performances, meeting old pals and a sunny day, what's not to like?

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 07, 2020, 01:26:33 PM »
It's time to revive this thread, don't you think? And none better for it than new European soul/r&b wizard mr. Alexis Evans, whose Valencia gig I had the pleasure to attend last evening. And let me tell you, he and the band were the proverbial dog's b****s!

Setting was perfect as El Loco is an intimate venue and sound is always spot on. Almost full but I could be in the front row with enough room to dance.

Evans' tender features, slight build and wither-than-milk skin are utterly deceptive, as he's a hell of a frontman that had us eating from his palm from the first tune. The band is obviously jazz-schooled, a finely tuned machinery dealing effortlessly with r&b, soul, funk and, yes, jazz (there were a couple songs where the minimal horns section, sax and trumpet, and the organist took extended, fiery solos that weren't boring at all), but the weight of the show lays of course on Alexis' shoulders. And he delivers, as he's not only a powerful singer but a superb blues guitarist as well.

They played no covers, so the setlist was made up entirely of material from their 2 LPs. No problem again, as Evans' compositions are more than decent neosoul stuff, dance music of the best order and a couple hair raisin' ballads to cool off a bit.

We danced, had fun with call and response choruses and all in all had a ball: one of those memorable evenings that live music provides from time to time. To top things off in style, after the show, they chatted with the audience, signed records, posted for pictures and were the friendliest guys you can imagine. Please, don't miss this one if they play near your town.

Martin G

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 07, 2020, 04:23:27 PM »
Love this fella mate. Been into him for a couple of years and have his CDs. Not seen that he comes to the UK much so I am very envious. Great photos and a top review too. The fella really is ace.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 07, 2020, 04:59:24 PM »
Love this fella mate. Been into him for a couple of years and have his CDs. Not seen that he comes to the UK much so I am very envious. Great photos and a top review too. The fella really is ace.

Mart, he was stunning onstage and a top guy later, we were chatting quite a bit. I know he was playing Germany later in the month, so I guess it's an European tour of sorts. Check out dates on FB, maybe he'll do any date in London (well technically not Europe anymore  ::))?

A funny anecdote I've forgotten to mention in my review is when I was complimenting their very young trumpet player on the gig. I tell the guy: "Some nice Mod music you've played" and he stares at me with a blank expression in his face: "Mod... What's that?". I laugh and reply: "Go ask your boss". A while later he approaches to me smiling: "Now I know what you were talking about"