Author Topic: The What Are You Reading Thread  (Read 274005 times)

Becky_Moffitt_83

• Mod Goddess... enough said!
    • View Profile
Re: The What Are You Reading Thread
« Reply #610 on: December 01, 2021, 04:37:54 AM »
The Girl I Left Behind - Judith Nies.

https://www.booktopia.com.au/the-girl-i-left-behind-judith-nies/book/9780061176029.html?source=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwPPxv-PB9AIVgJhmAh1rJAWkEAQYASABEgJaZPD_BwE

Bought many a 1960s book before I moved house, but I thought I'd start with this one.
“The fashionable woman wears clothes. The clothes don't wear her.” Mary Quant

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 02, 2021, 11:45:45 AM »
The Girl I Left Behind - Judith Nies.

https://www.booktopia.com.au/the-girl-i-left-behind-judith-nies/book/9780061176029.html?source=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwPPxv-PB9AIVgJhmAh1rJAWkEAQYASABEgJaZPD_BwE

Bought many a 1960s book before I moved house, but I thought I'd start with this one.

Wasn't aware of it, good shout!

Mo

• Turn off your mind,relax and float down stream
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: December 08, 2021, 02:08:16 PM »
The Beat Hotel. Interesting book on Ginsberg and Burroughs stay at the hotel in Paris, 1957 to 63
And my soul has been psychedelicized.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 08, 2021, 05:40:13 PM »
The Beat Hotel. Interesting book on Ginsberg and Burroughs stay at the hotel in Paris, 1957 to 63

Nice shout, Mo, another for the (ever increasing) list. Currently reading the absorbing Lenny Kaye love letter to rock'n'roll, "Lightning Striking", a highly subjective -but superbly researched- essay about pivotal moments/places in the evolution of rock music, among them Alan Freed-Cleveland in the early 50s, Sun Record-Memphis when Elvis arrived, Fess Longhair-New Orleans in the late 50s, Liverpool early 60s and so on...

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #614 on: December 16, 2021, 03:37:31 PM »

Nice shout, Mo, another for the (ever increasing) list. Currently reading the absorbing Lenny Kaye love letter to rock'n'roll, "Lightning Striking", a highly subjective -but superbly researched- essay about pivotal moments/places in the evolution of rock music, among them Alan Freed-Cleveland in the early 50s, Sun Record-Memphis when Elvis arrived, Fess Longhair-New Orleans in the late 50s, Liverpool early 60s and so on...

It's a cracking book RAFA. By the amount of drugs consumed I'm surprised that any work got done at all.
Now reading St Germaine de Pres. Cultural history from the mid 40s to the early 60s.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: December 16, 2021, 06:53:37 PM »

It's a cracking book RAFA. By the amount of drugs consumed I'm surprised that any work got done at all.
Now reading St Germaine de Pres. Cultural history from the mid 40s to the early 60s.

On the list already. Did you finally get the "Black Ivy" book, Mo? Seemingly my wife's Christmas present  :)

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #616 on: December 20, 2021, 11:19:52 AM »

On the list already. Did you finally get the "Black Ivy" book, Mo? Seemingly my wife's Christmas present  :)

Haven't got Black Ivy yet RAFA. Hopefully for Mt birthday in February.

detroitmike

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 20, 2021, 03:11:56 PM »

My copy is supposed to be delivered this Thursday....
[Edit] Never mind, Amazon just sent me another shipping delayed notice :o
« Last Edit: December 21, 2021, 01:08:53 PM by detroitmike »
"War is not the answer, because only love can conquer hate..."

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 21, 2021, 03:52:59 PM »

When you finally get the book, let us know what it's like.

Mo

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 26, 2021, 09:21:04 AM »

Ordered my copy, Mike along with Psychedelic Celluloid. Looking forward to both.