Author Topic: What are your style influences / aspirations ?  (Read 30504 times)

Simon Bond

• Is it me for a moment . .
    • View Profile
Re: What are your style influences / aspirations ?
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2021, 06:51:27 PM »
Bringing an old thread back from the dead! Has anyone got any current or old persons that you take inspiration from?

I check this twitter from time to time - not sure if he posts on here?

https://twitter.com/GoGoPowerTWR?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

I would concur , there are some items that are certainly more for the young guns . I tend to buy what l fancy now rather than buy a perticular style l have been inspired by . I'd probably be considered more late Mod style mostly but l rarely wear denim jeans or trainers and often complemented on my footwear , even by strangers .
I told you l did get told in a restaurant last year by the manager that l looked like something out of the 6ts , l thanked her said that was the general idea. .
That guy is obviously sussed and he's got style, some of his choices are younger gents' territory to me, but being young he gets away with them nicely.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2021, 06:54:41 PM »
I'm getting into the 20s flapper culture a little but don't want to go down the Peaky Blinders route that seems to be catching on. I'm thinking more this style

A bit the path Claudio de Rossi is pursuing last years. Timeless elegance, but easy to fall in fancy dress territory if overdone. A garment at a time it can look good and subtle, I guess.

I would say Cladius carries it off quite well but certainly not my thing , in particular , not those big flappy troos and no turn-ups ever. .
LET'S GO BRANDON!!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2021, 06:57:43 PM »
I'm getting into the 20s flapper culture a little but don't want to go down the Peaky Blinders route that seems to be catching on. I'm thinking more this style

A bit the path Claudio de Rossi is pursuing last years. Timeless elegance, but easy to fall in fancy dress territory if overdone. A garment at a time it can look good and subtle, I guess.

I would say Cladius carries it off quite well but certainly not my thing , in particular , not those big flappy troos and no turn-ups ever. .

My opinion too, but definitely way more stylish than the current uniforms: tracksuits or too-snug polyester suits with trainers.

Simon Bond

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2021, 06:59:00 PM »

My opinion too, but definitely way more stylish than the current uniforms: tracksuits or too-snug polyester suits with trainers.

Exactly !!
LET'S GO BRANDON!!

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 02, 2021, 07:02:49 PM »
And regarding inspirations, of course guys like Miles Davis (in the 50s-early 60s) or Steve McQueen remain unshakable style icons for me, but as Simon says, once you know how it's done you just let your instincts work and go for the things you like and work for you. My frame is nowadays late 50s-early 60s US, British and Continental styles, something much broader than strictly "mod" fare, but anyway I keep my eyes opened and I'm still learning.

roundmidnight2

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 02, 2021, 10:09:05 PM »
Bruce Springsteen, back in the 70s or 80s, I haven't followed what he's doing these days so no idea about that. Not so much what he wore as the way he wore it, the kind of - probably very planned - slightly disheveled way he would wear something, the way he could put on a jacket and not seem selfconscious.

roundmidnight2

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2021, 06:45:25 AM »
Oh, and Oasis back in the 90s. Always interesting to look at pictures and study the selection of button down shirts.

greenstreet

• Same beat
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2021, 10:22:34 AM »
Bruce Springsteen, back in the 70s or 80s, I haven't followed what he's doing these days so no idea about that. Not so much what he wore as the way he wore it, the kind of - probably very planned - slightly disheveled way he would wear something, the way he could put on a jacket and not seem selfconscious.

He was championing then sort of an Americana working-class-rock aesthetic... Tbh he's never impressed me, neither musically nor sartorially.

Lord Mulberry

• Absolute Beginner
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2021, 10:48:10 AM »

Absolutely, the DNA stuff is brilliant but there's rarely anything in my size
Do it well

dazlcfc

• Just joined
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2021, 04:52:53 PM »

Fantastic artist, still making great albums today.
Not stuck in the 60's